Chapter Ten

Before Selene hit the ground, Ban caught her. He looked over at Meliodas trying to figure out what he should do but Meliodas looked just as confused.

"Uh... Captain? What should we do? We can't just leave her here but for all we know, she will wake up and attack us again."

"It's fine, let's just bring her back to the bar." And with that, they were all headed back to the bar.

"I've never seen Selene act like this before. I grew up with her and she never seemed capable of hurting anyone. I should have noticed." Elizabeth shook her head looking down at the ground. She was disappointed for never noticing this side of her friend.

"Don't blame yourself Elizabeth, Selene must have been really good at hiding it and her magical power. Speaking of, did you know about her power?"

"No, not at all." Elizabeth let out a sad sigh and continued walking back to the tavern. Selene laid past out in Ban's arms. Even after what just happened, her face looked calm and peaceful.

Time Skip

I woke up to the slamming of a door. I groaned and rubbed my aching head. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around.

God, what happened? Where am I? My eyes darted around the room warily. It seemed like it was in a tavern. Footsteps approached me from the door and I snapped my head towards the person. Elizabeth stood in front of me, her eyes flooded with relief when she saw I was awake. She handed me a glass of water and I gratefully took it.

"What happened?" I took a sip of water after hearing how raspy my voice sounded.

"You attacked Ban then passed out. How are you feeling?" My memories from earlier flashed through my head. I jumped up and looked around, trying to make my escape. I started to fall and leaned against a table. My vision filled with black dots for a moment but they quickly went away once I sat down. "Careful Selene, just drink some water."

"No, I have to get out of here. Now. Elizabeth, if they know I'm here, they are going to kill me."

"What are you talking about? Who's going to kill you?"

"The Sins! Especially Ban after I tried to kill him. God! I'm such an idiot!"

"Selene, who do you think carried you back here?" I looked at her confused for a second then understood what she meant.

"None of this makes any sense. Why did you team up with them? But more importantly, why aren't they trying to kill me?"

"You saw how the Holy Knights stood by while the people of the kingdom were suffering. Then, they lied to the kingdom telling everyone my father was sick. They are trying to start a war and the Sins are the only ones that can stop it." I listened to Elizabeth and relief flooded through my veins. She had a reason to join them. A pretty good one at that.

"But they still killed my father."

"No, they didn't. Selene I swear to you, they were framed. They never tried to take over the kingdom." Those few words completely changed my life. They were the words I've been wanting to hear for the past ten years. I don't know why but something inside of me knew she was right. I jumped up from my chair and hugged Elizabeth.

"I'm so sorry, Elizabeth. I should have known you wouldn't betray me. I'm so sorry." I gasped for a second and pulled away from her. "Oh my lord. I just tried to kill the sins and they did nothing wrong. They never even fought back. I need to fix this." I started towards the door but started to fall. Elizabeth quickly came over and helped me balance. She put my arm over her shoulder and helped me outside. Everyone immediately noticed the door open and looked at us with anticipation. Their faces were all flushed from the alcohol they were drinking. For some reason, they were all gathered around King, smelling him. Elizabeth helped me towards them.

"Hey! How's it going?" Meliodas started towards us with a smile on his face. Even though I just tried to kill him and comrade not too long ago.

"I am so sorry, Meliodas. Not only for trying to kill you guys but for thinking you killed my father."

"It's okay, I would have probably thought the same thing if I was in your situation." I looked at him in confusion.

He was going to forgive me that easily?

"Oh! By the way, I think this belongs to you." He handed me the sketchbook that I lost. I ran my fingers over the cover, not believing I was holding it again. This sketchbook was almost like a diary to me. All of my pictures were so full of emotions and memories. "You're good at drawing." I widened my eyes at him.

"You looked through my drawings?" A drunk Ban walked over and joined the conversation.

"Yeah, we all did. You sure drew a lot of pictures of me. You must like me or something." I blushed slightly but looked down at the sketchbook so no one noticed.

"You wish. I was just imagining what it would be like to kill you."

"Why were you so mad at me and not so much the other sins? After all of the time we spent together I thought you wouldn't hate me and try to immediately kill me." An arrow of light hit me but it didn't hurt. I looked at it confused until the pink-haired sin started to speak.

"Actually, she didn't immediately want to kill any of us. She spent years trying to prove our innocence. Over time, she started to believe what all of the Holy Knights were telling her. And to answer your question Ban, the reason she was so upset with you was that she was so close to you. Once she believed you betrayed the kingdom, she couldn't understand why you did. Especially killing her father." I looked at the sin, unsure of how he was able to see through my memories. "Selene also never hated you. Even when she tried to kill you. Ten years ago she was even in love with you." I stared at Gowther, unsure of how he knew that.

"In my defense, I was six." Elizabeth giggled.

"I remember you telling me all about Ban at one of our sleepovers."

"Not helping Elizabeth." I shot her a glare but she just smiled. Ban threw his arm around my shoulder pulling me away from Elizabeth. I wanted to pull myself out of his grasp but I knew if I did, I would fall. Ban laughed but before he could speak, I quickly talked over him.

"Hey, Gowther! You probably just remembered that from when I was little. How do I know if your magical ability is real because it doesn't seem all that special."

"I can assure you my magical ability is real."

"Prove it."

"Okay then. Your magical ability just arose very recently and you have no idea how it works. The way you found out was by burning hand prints into a patch of grass." I was about to argue with him until he continued. "You also ran into us purely by coincidence. You were on a mission to learn more about your birth parents."

"Uh, Gowther. Her birth parents died shortly after she was born. She already knows everything about them." Elizabeth looks over at me, afraid Gowther hit a nerve.

"Gowther's right. The people who we thought were my birth parents adopted me as well. I got lost and decided to take a break in a tree then I attacked Ban."

"That hurt by the way!"

"Shut up you big baby, you're immortal. Get over it."