19

"your not my only student, Potter"~ ✧ ~

~ ~

[fallons pov]

When you realized what you two were doing you quickly placed your hand in your lap. His Hand. Oh merlin.
"Sorry" you mumbled to him

"You don't need excuses to hold my hand, Fallon" said James. When you stopped in your tracks and looked over at him, he was smiling. Humor danced in his eyes. Of course he's joking, you thought, wanting to throttle yourself for thinking he meant anything by it. Of course. He wouldn't like me like that. "I'm slacking in Potions, anyway."
McGonagall said you've been doing exceptionally well in the class, though... You shook your head, trying not to dwell on suspicions. Unlike Blair, you didn't like to doubt people; James wouldn't lie. He wasn't a very conniving person. "Alright. We'll go to the Potions classroom. I've got a key."
"Why do you have a key?" James looked intrigued. He probably thought you did something. Like stealing. You felt slightly bad for disappointing his expectations.

"You're not my only student, Potter," you told him, feeling shy. You were never shy. James smile flattened completely, a look of bemusement flashing in his unusual grey eyes. "I tutor a fourth-year in Arithmancy, and another fifth year in Ancient Runes."
"I thought I was your only student," said James, sounding and looking like a petulant child.
You loosed a sigh. Against your better judgment, you felt obligated to reassure him. "James, they're just blokes I help with homework," you tried.
"Don't be so offended" you joked with him
The both of you stood from your seats in the Library to move to the Potions classroom. Right before you made it to the classroom, James stopped in the middle of the hallway. He stared at you with this look of utter frustration, and before you knew it, he was throwing his hands into the air, one reaching to tug furiously at his messy brown hair. "Yeah! And I bet they asked McGonagall for you specifically! They're not slick; I know they heard me telling Fred about it-"
"What?" you said abruptly. On a different occasion, you might have felt guilty for interrupting him, but the way he worded what he said... "James, don't tell me... you..."
James face turned red. And he said nothing.
"Why?" Blair's assumptions whizzed through your head. They didn't sound so implausible now. In fact, the rational voice in your head told you to firmly believe them.
"Weren't we going to study?" James wouldn't look you in the eye. "Let's just forget I said anything, and just-" He cut himself off. His gaze was anxious as he repeatedly glanced from you to the ground.

You shook your head, but otherwise said nothing. Making sure James saw the suspicion in your gaze, you felt an overwhelming sense of satisfaction when his own gaze lowered, embarrassed. It was very un-Potter-like. You wondered what his head looked like at that moment-if it was haywire or as calm as an abandoned poolside.
The two of you walked in anxious silence all the way to the Potions classroom. Even when you got the door, you found yourself void of anything to say. The same could not be said for the bloke at your side. As you rummaged through your bag, searching for the key, James cleared his throat.
"Are you angry?" he asked. When you looked over at him, classroom key in hand, you couldn't help but to raise an eyebrow. He couldn't be serious.
Sirius is my middle name, you imagined him saying, as cheeky as always, and you wondered where his humor had gone. He seemed far too nervous to be the Potter she knew, and that observation made you a tad-bit more irritated than you should have been.
Even if the girls were right, a crush wouldn't make someone so unlike their usual self.
"No, I'm not angry. Just irritated," you told him as you unlocked the door. You pushed it open, gesturing for him to be the first one inside. He slowly went, after giving you a reluctant glance.
He silently went and sat at one of the tables. By the time you made your way over, he already had his book and parchment out. But he was looking at you sheepishly. Pursing your lips, you said, "What?"
"I need to borrow a quill," he said.
You shook your head. "You won't need a quill."
James looked confused. You couldn't blame him. You hardly even knew what you were doing, let alone saying.
Be bold. You're Fallon Malfoy! you thought. But looking at James, as he sat there, staring, this look of apprehension on his face...
You flushed.
"What?" James leaned forward in his seat, ignoring his parchment as a roll of it fell on the ground. "Are you alright, Malfoy?"
"Do you fancy me?" you blurted out.
It was almost comical how quickly James body retracted. How his eyes widened. How his jaw fell open.
How quick he was to stammer out, "W-Wha... w-where'd you get that idea? Ha-ha..."
His eyes weren't looking anywhere near you, and his skin was flushed red. His behavior was almost identical to yours.
"Blair and Dom said you fancy me," you told him. You wanted to curse yourself for admitting who put the idea in your head, as James would definitely say something to Blair and Dom in the near future. What kind of friend were you? "I mean, I didn't think she was right... I still don't... but I just wanted to ask. Clear the air."
Clear the air, my arse. You just want to see if he'd be a willing shagging participant.

"Let's just study" you said after being in silence for a couple minuets, he shook his head as a response and made his way over to the Caldrons...

"We're so gonna beat you in this Match" James said after you guys started working on the potions
"Ya sureee" you replied, the conversation quickly becoming full of Quidditch...