23

"I think this sunshine might shine a little brighter with you around

"I think this sunshine might shine a little brighter with you around."
~ ~

[fallons pov]

In all your years at Hogwarts, one thing remained constant - James Sirius Potter always had a smile on his face, until now. You knew what James was like enough to know something was wrong. The whole school was buzzing with joy and excitement - the Christmas spirit. The annual Gryffindor Christmas Party was happily bustling along in every common room. Usually, Potter was the life of the party. Dancing, telling jokes, keeping the alcohol stocked - it was his thing.
But this year, he stood by the fireplace with a lifeless expression on his face. Kids were raising hell all around him, laughing and downing cup after cup of firewhisky. This year, Fred had enchanted them to automatically fill back up once empty, so you knew this blowout would ultimately end in buckets of vomit and the infirmary running to the brim with hungover, cranky Gryffindors in the morning. Odette Chang cackled across the room. She clung to James like her life depended on it, giggling and drunkenly flashing cleavage in his face. You made a disgusted face at Odette's behavior and when you looked up, James was looking at you.

Most people would say James' best feature was his hair, but you disagreed. His eyes stuck out to you. They were a light, honey brown color that made you think of thick of sunset fog on the hills and the smooth golden locket your mother gave to you when you turned 11, you always wore around it around your neck. They reminded you of your grandmother's thin wispy locks piled on her head like the crown she deserved to wear. They were pulchritudinous and alluring, but above all things, soft and gentle. His eyes were warm and inviting, but mysteriously deep and full of stories at the same time somehow, and that's what made them so complicatedly beautiful.
Tonight though, they weren't. They'd lost their sparkle of happiness that you saw a week ago. He looked at you with eyes like a hard slate of steel. You cocked your head to the side, smile slipping into a hard line. You stood gazing back at the auburn haired boy across the room, nibbling on your bottom lip. You didn't think you'd noticed how breathtaking James was until now. Of course you noticed before, you had sex with him. He was a ball of pure sunshine most days, a burning flame. But, now his fire had gone out and you saw vulnerability and imperfection. You saw James for the human he was, not for the light he pretended to be.
You were pulled abruptly from your trance as Odette whisked James away. You blinked a couple times before shaking your head and stumbling to the cup counter. You picked up a red solo cup, muttering Fred's ' incantation for the automatic refills and downed a couple of cupfuls, distracting yourself from James and directing your attention to Damon, who had yet to ask you out.

It didn't take him long to be stolen away from you by a few of your friends. Sighing, you plopped down on the bottom step leading up to the boys' dorms. You watched the party around you. The chaos of it all always intrigued you. It wasn't long before a seething Odette Chang stomped past you, James following feet behind her. He stopped where you were, sitting down beside you.
You took a sip of your drink before turning your head to look at him, "What was that about?"
"You know how Chang is," he said, lighting a cigarette. "She throws a fit when she doesn't get what she wants."
"Yeah?" you asked, playfully ramming your shoulder into his. "And what is it that she wanted?"
He sighed heavily, smoke billowing out from between his lips and shook his head, turning to you. "You wanna get out of here?"
"I don't know James" you sighed standing up brushing off your skirt
"I just want to talk ok Malfoy ?" he started before sighing
"just trust me, now do you want to get out of here?" he asked again, standing up facing you