Cigarettes And Breakups

12/19/2018

CW: read the chapter title 

cigarettes and breakups

Remus woke up to the smell of eggs and pancakes being cooked in the kitchen. He sat up in his bed his room was a mess as it always was he had a calendar notification on his phone but he didn't need to look at it to know what it was. He also knew that his roommate, Janus, knew what it was too. 

Remus stood up and picked a random pair of sweat pants off his floor so Janus wouldn't yell at him for walking out of his room fully nude during day time hours for the 312th time. He opened the door to the living area and just as expected Janus was cooking His favorite.

Janus could feel his Roommate staring at him "I know what you are going to say and I'm not doing this because of him I'm doing it because I'm craving them." Janus was lying and Remus knew that. After he turned to face Remus once he finished cooking the pancakes he saw Remus was still watching him from the door frame. Janus knew that Remus knew he lied. Neither of them said anything. 

Janus placed the food on the table and started plating his plate. Remus sat in his seat and watched Janus plate his food. "Jan they are shaped like skulls."

"You're complaining? you bought the mold to make them this shape!"

"No, not complaining. Just saying." Remus took a pancake off the stack and some eggs. They ate in silence which wasn't completely unusual but this time it was nearly suffocating. 

The pancakes had chocolate chips and strawberries in it. They tasted amazing as they always did and they both had to hold back their own tears and look down to pretend they weren't getting emotional at all. 

After eating about two pancakes Janus stood up "I'm going to get ready for work and get some things done in the store. I'll meet you down there later." Janus walked over to his room as Remus watched the only thing that could get him to stop was when Janus closed the door behind him.

There were two reasons he was staring he was worried about Janus because of the day; his Crush on Janus was the other. He knew he had no chance, Janus still hadn't gotten over his ex. He wasn't going to deal with the idea of Janus still actively longing for an ex while dating him. He had more self-preservation than that. Remus finished his food then started to get ready himself.

By the time Remus was completely finished Janus had already left the apartment. Remus did a quick check of the apartment. he found one pack of cigarettes under some junk on the counter. "Really Janus, if you don't want me to find your stashes hide them better." and dumped them in the dumpster just outside the building before going into the store for work. 

The shop didn't open for another 30 minutes which is why the scene before him made sense. Janus had his phone open and he was about to make a call. "Janus." Remus said firmly. Janus turned to him. "Put. The. Phone. Down."

"It's just a pleasantry call. it would be rude not to!" Janus exclaimed in defense.

"Jan, you know best that being 'pleasant' isn't anywhere near as important as taking care of yourself! it's not worth it."

"Don't stop me!" and Janus made the call and Remus lunged at him. Janus moved Remus hit the floor and he got an answer.

"What do you want Janus?"

"Wow, that's a rude way to speak to an old Lover~." Janus said and cursed himself for letting Remus rub off on him.

"Okay, I'm hanging up now."

"No. wait. Virgil, please don't go!"

silence on the other end.

"In all seriousness, I wanted to wish you a happy birthday. We haven't spoken in so long.  I just thought I'd check-in." Remus sat up.