Tingling Lips

"So wait, alls we gotta do is go to the station and ask fah officer Hugh and we get assigned to a case?" Albert asks, being as shocked as I was from hearing the words said to me.

"Exactly," I say, shoving my hand in my pocket to protect them from the cold. I look up into the sky and see the beautiful moon shining bright as we near the Lodging House.

"So what, does this make us a pair ah detective or somethin'?" He asks. I shrug and look at the ground, trying to hide the fact that I'm excited the police chose us to help out with murder cases.

"Maybe, maybe not. That's up to whether you'd want to do this, and if you have time," I say. Albert is about to say something, but we both freeze up when we see Race staring out the window, glaring at us.

"Look, if you wanna do it, dat's fine. But if you want me tah help, I'll need time tah think 'bout it," Albert says. I nod, happy that he would even consider helping out.

I'm about to thank him when Race comes charging out of the door. He runs up to Albert and grabs him by the collar.

"What were ya doin' wit' me sistah at ten o'clock at night?!" Race asks, clearly worried for my safety. Instead of letting Albert answer, I explain to Race what happened.

"Hey, we didn't do anything, bro. I just needed a break and left to draw, Albert took after me about an hour later to tell me to get home. But we got a bit distracted with talking, that's all," I lie, feeling slightly proud of myself as Race lets Albert go.

"Oh. Well, thanks, Al. Sorry fah that," Race says, shoving Albert's shoulder lightly. Albert lets out a chuckle and shoves him back.

"It's a'ight, Race. Just wanted tah make sure that ya sistah was safe," Albert says, winking to my when he looks over, which makes me smile. "Anyways, let's get tah bed, I'se tired."

Race and I nod and we all head back inside, where most of the newsies are already in their bed clothes. I walk to my bed and grab my sleep clothes before heading to the bathroom to get changed.

Once I finish changing into what can barely be called shorts and a tank top, I walk back into the sleeping areas, where I get into my bed and close my eyes. I try my best to think of only good things, but my mind keeps trailing back to what Albert and I saw two weeks ago.

The sight of the blood oozing out into an even larger puddle. I can't stop thinking about the worst imaginable sight. But the idea is flushed down by the one that I might have to deal with that stuff every day if I choose to go to the station.

But the last thought that enters my mind before I fall asleep is one that could make me smile. If only Albert liked me back.

Albert's POV

I feel the nice cool air of the East River from the top of the Brooklyn Bridge hit my face. The smell of morning and the quiet surroundings make me feel far more happy than usual.

"Hey, Al, what are you doing up here?" A voice asks from behind me. I turn around to see Y/n, looking absolutely stunning.

"Uh, I have no clue. What are you doin' 'ere, though?" I ask her, feeling my heart beat faster for an unnecessary reason. I watch as she smiles and walks closer, so she's only about an inch or two away from me.

"I just came to see you. I mean, you really helped me out today. If you weren't there to save me, then I'd be a goner," she says with a laugh. I chuckle with her, and silence soon follows. My eyes can't help but dart down to her lips, which look so pink and perfect. I can tell that she noticed because she laughs again.