The Lower Manhattan Mafia

*Splash!*

My consciousness is shot back at me like a bullet, as soon as a ton of water collides with my face. I open my eyes and see three men standing in front of me, one holding a bucket. I try to stand up, only to realize that I'm tied down with ropes.

I look around to realize that I must be underground, since there's no light, other than a single candle in the corner. And judging by the bar that are beside a barred door, I believe I must be in a cell of some kind.

"Where am I?" I ask, feeling a lump of anxiety climb up my throat. One of the men chuckles and lets out a single note of a whistle. And at that moment, another man enters the room. He has dark black hair, with a tan-ish complexion and two sky blue eyes, staring right into my soul.

"Is this seriously one ah da people on ah tails? A kid? Christ sakes, I'm disappointed in yis" The man says in a deep voice, which sounds more like the low note on a tuba than anything a man could sound like. He sighs and kneels down in front of me, glaring daggers into my soul. "Listen, here's the deal: I don't wanna kill a kid, and you don't wanna be killed. So, you stop investigating for da bulls, and I won't kill you, or your red headed pal."

I freeze up at his words. 'He knows a lot'. If he knows Albert, that means that while we've been stalking them, they've been stalking us.

"How do you know about him? And how do you know that we work for the police?" I ask, worried less for myself, and more about him. The man in front of me lets out a chuckle before staring at his calloused hand.

"Albaht? You guys ain't that hard tah find. A red headed boy, and a pretty little gal, newsies by day, investigators by night? It's easier than you'd expect. He's a good kid, ain't he?" The man asks, and I nod my head nervously. "So you wouldn't want him tah die, now would ya? No. So hey, if you just hop off the case, we might even give ya an extra fifty bucks tah stay quiet." 

"It'll be a cold day in hell when I stop getting rid of scum like you," I say, spitting in his face. I can his his attitude completely change from merciful to angry.

"Listen, kid, I'm jus' doin' my job. In fact, I should've killed you by now. But I'm givin' you an out. Some investigations don't need tah be solved, they just need to stop," he says, rolling his eyes and clenching his fists.

"Andrea Higgins,"I say, bringing up a name I never though I'd say in years. "What?" He asks, clearly stunned by the name I just said. "Seven years ago, you killed a woman named Andrea Higgins. I saw it. It was the Manhattan Mafia, or at least that's what I told the police. But no matter how many times I gave them evidence, they threw it away. Her death never got avenged. If someone had gotten arrested that day, I doubt I'd even be here. Because I wouldn't be risking my life just so that people don't have to experience the same shit that I did. So seven years ago, you made the the greatest mistake of your life. You killed my mother."

"There ain't no way that she's Higgin's kid, boss," one of the men in the room says. But the boss holds up a hand to shush him, before getting closer to my face and scanning every inch of me.

"I should've known you was her kid, since you two are practically the same person," the man says, because letting out a chuckle and leaning back. "Oh yeah, man she was a real pain in our ass. She was a private investigator, just like you and ya friend. In fact, we wouldn't have even known about her if it wasn't for a not so little clue by a mister 'Ed Higgins'."

I freeze up at even the bare mention of his name. 'No. It couldn't have been him. My... Father would never have gotten her killed. Her loved her for christ sakes!'

"I'm guessin' you know that name, right? Well, I'd hope so, since he's your fatha. But yeah, he sent us a letta, sayin' dat she was real close to findin' our location. Ed, well, he was a part of the mafia for quite a while. But he left once your brother, Anthony, was born. Couple ah years lateh, and he reaches out, so of course we took out ya mom. I guess you could say, 'like mother, like daughter.'."