A Little Fall Of Rain

Warning: Les Miserables reference (Listen to the song once they begin singing, if you don't know how it goes)

"No! Please! J-just a bit more time!" I cry out as the leader firmly grips my wrists, making sure that I won't escape as he unties me.

"Listen, kid, we'se runnin' on a tight schedule. And right now, our schedule says we ain't got no time tah dawdle. The mafia needs tah relocate, so might as well bring ya along tah toss you two off da Brooklyn bridge along da way," he says while retying my hands.

As he shoves me out of the room, I see Albert standing there, his hands tied behind his back, and two men behind him. I try to run and get as close to him as possible, but as soon as I take my first step, one of the men punches me in the stomach.

Albert tries to run and help me, but is held back by the other man. I hear the sinister chuckles of the mafia leader, as he lifts me back up.

"That's cute, 'two lovahs destined tah die both try tah be wit' eachudda for da last moments of deir life.'," the boss says.

"Sir, we can't be laughin', the bulls is right on ouah tails. That dumbass, William, fahgot tah take the udda kid who was wit' 'er," the man who punches me says, gesturing to me. Oscar. He must be talking about Oscar! Oscar must have told the police who took me, and they tracked us down.

"Dammit, you'se right. Let's head out now before dey find us," the boss says. 

As soon as he finishes talking, we begin trudging down the hallway, up a set of stairs, and through a backdoor. Looking out in the distance, I can see the sun slowly rising in the east, and just south is the Brooklyn Bridge. It's drizzling a bit or rain

I look over at Albert, who's looking back at me. I can see a single tear rolling down his face. "I'm so sorry," he mouths to me. I shake my head, letting him know that I forgive him. 

From a distance, I hear footsteps. They sound too sneaky to be Mafia members, since they tend to be brute with their steps. There's some shouting, a couple gunshots, and talking. Looking up at the mob boss, he seems to be upset.

"Shit. Da bulls found us," he whispers through gritted teeth. Mine and Albert's face light up, knowing that the police must be on their way to save us.

"Help! We're behind the building!" I shout, trying to get their attention. As soon as I finish my sentence, I feel the butt of a gun smack the side of my head, giving my a slight cut. The pain sucks, but it's worth it to get away.

"Y/n?!" I hear a very familiar voice call out, before the footsteps grow louder. And just coming around the corner, I see the last person I'd expect. Race. I try to run after him, but I'm immediately put in a headlock by the boss.

"Race! I'm sorry!" I yell to him. "I should've taken your word, but I just couldn't. I'm sorry!"

"Hey, I know! That's why we'se gonna get you and Al outta here!" Race yells, and soon, more people run around the corner. I see all my friends, both newsies and police officers alive. I can feel the boss's laugh vibrating through his body.

"Ah, I could recognize those blond coils anywheah. Anthony Higgins, is dat you?" The boss asks, mocking everyone with his calm voice. I can see Race's shocked expression. "Oh yeah, I had a real nice talk wit' ya sista about your mudda's death. But you know, she won't live long enough tah tell it to yis. Now, let us head out, or she gets her brains blown out."

I hear hear a gun clicking, and the butt of a gun pressed against my head. I let a tear roll down my face. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Albert. He looks just as horrified as me. And he also has a gun against his head.