/This/ Close

Your POV

I stand in shock at what Albert just said. I mean, did he really say he wants to solve crimes with me or was that just my imagination? He looks a bit disappointed in himself, but that could be because he was embarrassed to tell me that.

"Y/n/n? You'se alright?" He asks with a small smile. Instead of answering, I practically jump on him in order to hug him. He laughs and pats my head. "I takes that as a yes?"

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!" I yell, smiling like I just won 20 bucks. Once I let go, I see his slightly red face and notice that he looks a bit nervous. "Did you get a sunburn?"

My comment makes him chuckle nervously and turn away.

"Erm, yeah, you could say dat," he says. His pretty smile fills my heart with butterflies. I smile back at him and slug him in the shoulder.

"Well, don't be dumb and try to stay in the shade today. Can't have all of you be red," I say with a smirk, teasing him for his red hair. Albert shoots me a glare before chuckling.

"Well, dat would be impahssible, since I have auburn hair, not red hair. Ya see?" Albert asks, taking off his cap and floofing his hair. I instantly feel my heart yearn to run my fingers through each and every strand. 

"Agree to disagree. But I'm just so excited that you actually wanted to join me in this, since you seemed so hesitant yesterday," I say, wanting to pull him into another hug. Albert chuckles and places his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, well, I guess you could say dat I had a change ah heart," Albert says, smiling at me before pulling his hands out of his pockets and grabbing my wrist. "Anyways, we should prolly get woikin' sos that we can have more time to woik on our side-gig! C'mon!"

Albert begins running off to the streets, seemingly excited to get to work. He'd better tone it down or else the other newsies will be suspicious. But that thought is quickly clouded by my happiness, as I run after the red-head while smiling like I just made it big.

Timeskip 4 days

Albert and I just finished solving our first official case. There was this guy who killed his wife and took off running, and not a single person knew where he could be. But then Albert and I traced down his location to an abandoned house, where we found out that he was also a part of the "Lower Manhattan Mafia". 

Sadly, he wouldn't give us any information on the mafia, and he was all alone in the house, so there's not even a lead there. But that doesn't matter now, since Albert and I caught him! And we even got paid 2. Whole. Dollars as a reward! Which is why the two of us are stopping by Jacobi's diner as a special treat. As we walk in the door, Jacobi, who was standing by the kitchen, looks up at us and groans.

"Oh great. How many of ya today?" Jacobi asks, already annoyed that we just entered his establishment.

"Just the two of us," I say, holding up a quarter to show that we can pay. I watch as Jacobi's eyes grow wider than dinner plates.

"Where did you get dat kinda money?" Jacobi asks, and just as I'm about to answer, Albert scoffs.

"Fah your infamation, we'se got jobs. And we're richah than you could evah imagine. Now, give me that seltzah that I'se been cravin' so badly," Albert says, wearing a smug grin.

"Dang, alright. Anythin' else that you'd like there, mister and miss moneybags?" Jacobi asks, using a nickname to address the two of us.

"Could I also get potatoes and some ham please?" I ask Jacobi, who nods and walks back into the kitchen. Albert and I turn to each other, and I see the huge smile that's spread across his face.