Confrontation

Several months later, August 13th, 1900

Albert and I have been on a winning streak; solving crimes, putting the right people in jail, and outsmarting the people we all know as villains. And the best part is not even one other newsie as found out our side gig.

Today, we have a new job to do, and I'd say that it's most important. Get this, we need to find one of the higher up members of the Lower Manhattan Mafia. He might be able to give us enough information to find their secret hideout.

But the only issue is that with every new case that we're getting, I keep crushing harder on Albert. I know I shouldn't, since it's never going to happen, but my mind can't help but wonder.

Right now, I'm getting dressed to go sell my papers in the girl's bathroom, which only has me and Smalls occupying it. Once I leave the bathroom, I see Albert waiting for me with a smile on his face.

"M'lady, are you ready fah today?" He asks, holding his arm out for me to take. The other newsies know that we tend to lock arms when we walk, so it's no big deal to them.

"Ready as I'll ever be!" I say, feeling my heart glow from anticipation. But us talking attracts the attention of Race, who walks over with a curious look on his face.

"What'ah you so excited about? You gonna sneak off tah Jacobi's again and drink so much wine that you become an alcoholic?" Race asks, still upset about what happened a couple months ago.

Speaking of that night, Albert and I never had the chance to actually kiss after that. Of course, we've gotten close a couple of times, but we always get interrupted.

"Geez, Race, ya still upset about that?" Albert asks, immediately unlocking our arms. Race is almost red from annoyance.

"Of course I'm still upset. Ya bein' a bad influence on me sistah," Race says, getting into Albert's face to appear threatening. "Ya know, I don't think you should be hangin' around her anymore."

"Oh yeah, pretty boy, is that what you think?" Albert asks, also getting in Race's face, showing that he's not backing down. "Because I think that she can make decisions on her own, and doesn't need her brudda makin' her own decisions."

"Listen, Al, you're my friend. And it would suck to lose ya. But if you don't tell me what you two've been hidin' from me, I sweah tah god, I will poisonally beat ya damn a-" Race begins, but I shove the two of them apart before he can finish his sentence.

"Boys, calm down. Albert, this is between me and Race, so I'll be the one doing the talking. And Race, we're just doing our job. There's no secrets that any of us have been hiding, believe me, I'm your sister for damn sakes, I wouldn't lie to you. Last month, I was a bit overwhelmed by hanging out with the boys so much, so Albert and I just went to go hang out, just the two of us. Nothing is going on, other than Albert being a good friend, and taking care of me. Okay?"

It's silent for a moment, as Race tries to comprehend what I'm saying and I try not to cry from lying to my brother. I love my big bro more than anyone in the world, so it kills me to lie to him.

"Yeah, I get it. Sorry fah freakin' out about you two, I just was worried dat my sistah was in danga. I love ya, Y/n/n, and I just wanted tah make sure dat you was okay, Race says, carefully gripping the back of my head to give me a protective kiss on my forehead.

"I get it bro, and that's why I love you. But you'd better get back to selling your papes before the day's over," I say, trying to get Race to leave as soon as possible.