Five

1988

It was three weeks after me and Liam had finished school. We'd done fuck all, well liam had gotten himself a bird, but apart from that, we'd done nothing. Most of our time was spent messing about with the 'band' as Guigsy had named it or on the park. That was where we were at the minute. Me and Liam that is, until Liam's bird, Danielle or the bitch as I had affectionately named her, had turned up. Liam and her pissed off and left me on my own, until Noel was passing on his way home from his dad's building site. He said he saw me laying on the bench on my own but I knew he heard Liam's obnoxious voice, 'cause who wouldn't?

"Why d'you keep looking at our kid like that?" Noel asked as he picked up my legs sat on the bench and put my legs back across his.

"What d'you mean?" I replied, propping myself up with my arms and looking at him.

"Like that," Noel said, "Every time he's with 'er you 'ave that look on yer face."

"I don't know what yer on about," I said, laying back down.

"Yes y' do Angie," Noel replied.

"I really don't Noel," I sighed, looking back at Liam and the bitch before rubbing my face.

Noel lit a ciggie in his mouth before he took a drag and passed it to me. I took a drag, tapping the ash off as I got lost in my thoughts yet again.

"I know what it is," Noel said, looking at me with a knowing look on his face.

I sighed, throwing my cigarette on the floor and raising my eyebrows, "Gowan then, what is it?"

"Yer jealous," Noel smirked.

"Jealous of what?" I asked in disbelief.

"Of 'er," Noel told me.

"Jealous of the bitch? Yer having a fuckin' laugh aren't you?"

"She's with our kid and you're not," Noel said.

"No need to fuckin' rub it in," I spat.

Noel raised his eyebrows with a smirk.

"Shit," I muttered, covering my face with my hands.

"Come 'ere," Noel said, putting his arms out.

I pulled myself and snuggled myself into Noel's side.

"I'm dead fuckin' stupid," I said.

"No yer not," Noel told me, wrapping his arms around me, "It's normal, falling for that cunt isn't but y' see what I mean."

"Can we go?" I asked quietly, looking up to him.

"D'you want to?" Noel asked, stroking my hair.

I nodded as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Come on then," Noel said softly, wiping the stray tear away with his thumb.

We walked back to their house since it would be empty. Mam was probably home at this time and I knew she'd make me tell her what was wrong, when in all honesty I didn't know what was wrong. I sat on Noel's bed while he found me something to change into since I didn't want to be sat around in a pair of jeans 'cause it's fuckin' uncomfortable.

"Put that on, it's all I can find," Noel said, picking up a t-shirt off a pile of clothes on the floor and lobbing it at my head.

"Inspiral Carpets, decent," I said, nodding my head as I read what was printed on it.

I slipped off my top, putting on Noel's t-shirt and pulling it down before I took off my jeans. I chucked my clothes into a pile at the bottoms of Noel's bed.

"Ah, about the Inspiral Carpets," Noel started as he put Some Girls by the Stones on his and Liam's turntable.

"Gowan, what have you done?" I rolled my eyes jokingly as Noel sat next to me, "Are you gonna take me to see 'em again?"

"I've got a job as a roadie for 'em," Noel told me.

"What? Seriously?" I asked in shock.

Noel nodded.

"Ah well done, I'm dead proud of ya," I grinned, wrapping my arms around him, "When d'you go?"

"In two days," Noel said.

"What the fuck? Have you told yer mam?" I asked, pulling away.

"You're the only one who knows," Noel admitted.

"You stupid bastard," I said and hit his arm, "Why haven't you told yer mam? She will notice when you piss off and don't come back."

"I'm telling her tonight. Just don't say anything to her," Noel begged me.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, getting up and turning the volume up on the turntable.

"Don't get the face on with me," Noel said softly, tilting his head to the side as he looked at me.

"I'm allowed to have the face on," I said, standing at the bottom of the bed with my arms crossed.

"I'm not saying you're not. I just don't want you locking yourself away all summer again," Noel said, patting the bed for me to sit down in front of him, which I did, "You're practically my likkle sister. I don't want to see you upset again," Noel pulled my cheeks like old people tend to do.

"Piss off," I smiled, slapping his hands away, "What am I gonna do without you?"

"You'll survive. I'll ring you as much as I can," Noel said, wrapping his arms around me as we laid down on his bed.

"You bloody better. I dunno how long I can go on with Liam and the bitch without saying summat," I told him.

"It won't last long with 'er. You know full well it won't," Noel said reassuringly.

"Bloody hope not."

I know I'll never be the same
If I don't get her back again
Because I know she'll always be
The only girl for me
Don't Bother Me, The Beatles