Hunted (1)

Hunted (1)

Kylie's POV

I could remember a time where the Winchester boys and I were so close, that we would be able to fight a monster and go out for beers like nothing had happened, telling jokes and drinking the night away like we were regular people.

Now things were different, the air between the three of us was thick, the emotions were ready to burst at the seams and despite being the only girl in the triangle of hunters, I had to be the strong one.

"Before Dad died, he, he told me something - something about you." Dean spoke, his lips trembling.

I knew this was bad, I knew it was going to be very bad. Dean didn't keep secrets from Sam, and especially not from me.

"What? Dean, what did he tell you?" Sam asked nervously as I shifted on the wet ground beneath my feet.

"He said that he wanted me to watch out for you, to take care of you." Dean said, not looking at his brother but instead his feet.

"He told you that a million times." Sam shook his head with confusion.

"No," Dean shook his head, "this time was different. He said that I had to save you."

I cocked a brow, confusing thoughts filling my head.

"Save me from what?" Sam asked softly, his voice croaking.

Dean swallowed the lump in his throat and finally met his brother's eyes. "He just said that I had to save you, that nothing else mattered, and that if I couldn't, I'd . . ." He trailed off into silence.

"You'd what, Dean?" Sam asked.

Dean glanced at me, his eyes filling with tears. He needed help, he needed my support, but I didn't know what he was talking about.

"That I'd have to kill you. He said I might have to kill you, Sammy."

I sucked in a breath, turning around to look at the lake, my fingers fisting in my hair.

John really screwed up this time. He put so much pressure on his son and now Dean had so much pressure on his shoulders that he couldn't even function.

"Kill me?" Sam let out. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

I turned back around to see a mess of emotions on Sam's face, his arms flying away from his sides.

"I don't know." Dean let out weakly.

"I mean, he must have had some kind of reason for saying it, right? Did he know the demon's plans for me? Am I supposed to go Darkside or something? What else did he say, Dean?" Sam cried.

"Nothing, that's it, I swear." Dean shook his head.

"How could you not have told me this?" Sam asked angrily.

"Sammy, we need to calm down." I tried but he only shot me a glare.

"Because it was Dad, and he begged me not to." Dean spoke.

"Who cares?" Sam yelled angrily. "Take some responsibility for yourself Dean! You had no right to keep this from me!"

I stepped in front of Dean, shielding him from his brother's yells. "Hold on! He was doing what he thought was best! You think he wants this! You think he wants this on his shoulders!"

"Ky," I heard Dean speak from behind me, before pushing me back gently. "You think I wanted this? Huh? I wish to God he'd never open his mouth. Then I wouldn't have to walk around this screaming in my head all day."