kokomo. | floyd talbert

for my lovely, lovely friend floydtab on tumblr

*** 

The sun glimmered through the leaves, and you inhaled, feeling the warm air fill your lungs. You leaned back on your elbows, your legs stretched out in front of you. For months, you and your company had been stationed in possibly the coldest places you've ever been in, from Belgium to France.

But this was Austria, and the water was so clear and blue, the trees so lush and green, you could cry. It had been so long since you've seen this much color in the world, you had forgotten it wasn't just grey. You sat now at the edge of Lake Zell, a tiny lake in the Austrian Alps. You could hear the Easy boys talking behind you about what they'd do after the war— This was a common topic. They were all so excited, their plans changed every time they talked about it.

"What about you, Y/N?" George asked, and you peeked over your shoulder to see them from your peripherals. "What are you gonna do once we get home?"

You shrugged like you always did whenever they asked, because the truth was you had no clue what you'd do when you got home. You had dropped out of college to enlist in the army, and you always just imagined yourself going back to school like the the past 4 years never happened. "Probably go back to school," you smiled, "Get a degree or something."

The boys whistled, teasing you. "Woah," Babe laughed, walking up to you and patting you on the head, "A degree? You turning into Web here?" You scrunched your nose in response and swatted his hand away from your head.

You turned away from the lake and faced the boys, watching them as they talked about their dreams— How eager they were to get back to their families and get their lives back together. You wanted to picture this moment, with the pine trees at their backs and the warm summer sun making everything golden.

"Talbert," Frank suddenly piped, "You never told us what you were gonna do." All of them, including you, turned to the brunet expectantly.

He had a stick in his hand and was busy poking George in the stomach with it, but at the mention of his name, he lifted his head. "Well, Frank," he started, "I've gotta be honest with you. Zero clue. Might get a dog though." Floyd smiled, and it was so infectious all of them smiled as well.

You and Floyd were close. The two of you had shared foxholes back in Bastogne, and spent long nights talking about what life was like back home. He often told you about his childhood in Indiana, and joked about taking you there someday. You always fired back and said you'd love to meet his mother. He would just say she'd love you.

But they were just teasing in dark foxholes. Floyd would return to Indiana, and you would go back home.

***

You stood by Speirs, the tall man watching as the boys played a game of baseball. The sky was incredibly blue, and you realized you couldn't stop thinking about how bright it was compared to the darkness you've all had been surrounded with for weeks.

"How many points do you have, Private?" he smiled, looking down at you.

Tilting your head up, you shrugged. "Not enough, that's for sure." With a twinkle in his eye, he nodded with faux sadness. A questioning look crossed your face, and he lifted his hands innocently.

"So we'll still be seeing you around then," he said, "I know Talbert's gonna be real happy about that."

Talbert? What does he have to do with anything? You thought to yourself. Shrugging, you simply nodded and went back to watching the boys play.