sunrises & trying again. | bill guarnere

DISCLAIMER: there are mentions of sex on this, no NSFW but still hints at it. if you're uncomfortable with that kind of thing, please do not read this.

as requested by @hellitwasyoufirstsergeant and @shiftysdogtags on tumblr, who wanted fwb to lovers!

***

Your forehead was slick with sweat, your breathing heavy. "I can't believe we did it again," you said to yourself, your voice incredibly sore. Of course, it happened again. It wouldn't stop happening ever since you first bumped into Bill in the middle of the night in front of the washrooms back in Georgia.

You'd find yourself in his bed, promising it would be the last time, and try your best to sneak back into your own, careful not to wake anyone. When there was more privacy, he wouldn't put a hand over your mouth as you did it, the sounds of your quiet voices filling the room. Even at Bastogne, you found yourself staggering out of his foxhole, despite the absurdity of it all, adjusting your pants and flattening your top, as though anyone would notice.

You hated every part of yourself for it, but everyone had urges. You and Bill's were just a lot stronger than everyone else's.

"Of course we did," the man beside you muttered as though he could read your mind, "You can't resist me." He threw you a wink, that nearly made you want to pounce on him once more and go for another round, and the thought of it made you sick at the same time. Mostly because he was right; You couldn't resist him one bit.

Instead, you rolled your eyes. "More like you can't resist me," you swiped at the sweat on your forehead, sitting up on his bed. Being in Austria meant more privacy. That meant more nights on his bed instead of yours.

Bill chuckled, and you bit down on your bottom lip, the temptation nearly unbearable. It was even worse was that he was leaning on his elbows, propping his head up with his arm. His hair was slicked back, his chest glistening with sweat. "That's true," he whispered, eyeing you as you pulled up your hair and tried to look as inconspicuous as possible, "You aren't sleeping with me tonight?"

You turned away, knowing full well you'd give in to his puppy dog eyes, and the cycle would begin all over again. "No," you pursed your lips as you continued getting dressed, his eyes burning holes into your skin, "I don't want people thinking we're sleeping together." The words came out wrong, and you felt Bill turn away. "I didn't mean-"

"Don't worry about it," he raised a hand dismissively, standing up from his bed and opening the door for you, "You better get going then."

Shocked, you quickly picked up your stuff, shuffling out the door. "Goodnight," you tried to say, but Bill's door was already closed.

———

It had been 3 days since that whole debacle, and you weren't sure if you were supposed to be relieved or upset that Bill hadn't shown up in front of your door ever since. You fiddled with your fingers as you kicked your feet around in the lake. The rest of the men were behind you, starting up campfires and just messing about.

"Why so glum?" you heard a husky voice behind you say. Toye rested his hand on your head, messing up your hair. He took a seat beside you, occasionally glancing at the men, but their laughter and their voices were drowned out by the thumping in your head. You had wished it was Bill who came up to you.

Maybe that was why you were seated at the edge of the boardwalk all alone. You were upset after all.

You shrugged. "It's nothing," you smiled at him, bumping his shoulder gently, "Just thinking. Thank you for asking, though."