umbrella. | eugene roe

requested by @wexhappyxfew on tumblr 

***

The rain pattered gently against the cab window, storm clouds brewing in the sky. You had just moved to Lafayette, with its bright music, good food, and welcoming people. Today, despite the rain, everyone was in a festive mood. The whole city seemed to always be bustling about, and you just knew you had found the right place to settle down.

"You movin' in?" the cab driver asked, glancing at you from his rearview mirror, "Just as all the men are shippin' out as well."

You nodded with a smile. "Maybe I could do some good, get a job here and help our troops," you replied, fiddling with the strap of your purse. That was your goal after all, and that was why you left your small town in the first place. "My brother got drafted."

The man gave you a sad smile, turning a corner. "Good luck," he piped as you climbed out of the car, and you weren't sure if that was for you or for your brother. Mumbling a thanks, you stepped out, pulled your luggage to the curb, and tried your best to shield yourself from the rain by huddling under someone's front door.

You cursed, lighting yourself a cigarette and drawing your coat closer to your body. You didn't expect it to rain, and now your suitcase was wet in front of you. "Need help?" a voice said behind you, and you realised the front door had swung open, revealing a man in work clothes. He had grease all over his shirt, and a polite smile on his face.

Not knowing what to say, you remained quiet in front of him as he went out under the rain and dragged your suitcase through the door. Before you were able to object, he shut the door behind you, placing your wet suitcase on the wooden floor. "Don't worry," he tried to assure you, but through your head ran different scenarios; You had just gotten here, and now you were in a stranger's living room.

"I need to go," you said nervously, glancing around, gripping your purse tightly.

For some reason, the man laughed, waving his hands. "Don't worry, I promise," he said, "It's just Louisianian hospitality. If anything, I should be scared of you." You scrunched your eyebrows together. "You're the stranger standing at my front door." He said the words so simply, and you couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

But whatever he had tried to do to you definitely worked. "Thanks for letting me in," you replied, relaxing a bit, "I just moved here. Didn't think it'd rain the first day here."

"Oh," the man said, grabbing an umbrella from a stand beside you, "Then you can have this. A moving in gift."

You stared at the umbrella in his hands, unsure whether you could accept it. He was a stranger after all. "Please, take it," he forced a smile onto his face, most definitely looking like he didn't smile often. Taking it from him, you held it close to you.

"Thank you?" you trailed off, realising you didn't know his name.

"Eugene Roe, and to whom do I owe the pleasure?"

You nodded with a smile. "Thank you, Eugene Roe. I'm Y/N."

———

What started as an awkward first impression turned into a budding friendship. His parents were surprised to find you soaking wet in their living room, and quickly forced you off to change, lending you Eugene's sister's clothes. Since then, the family didn't let you leave, often inviting you over for both breakfasts and dinners.

Eugene was a quiet but kind man. He said very little, but what he didn't say, he communicated through his actions. Simple things such as opening the door for you to being the one to always scoop food onto your plate.