24 hours in paris. | lipton

as requested by an anon on tumblr

***

A blanket around your shaking figure, you wrapped your hands tighter around your cup of cold coffee. It wasn't cold when Doc Roe had handed it to you minutes earlier, but you had barely taken a sip when the cold weather made it lukewarm. You sat with your back turned to everyone, except for Private Blithe, who was seated on the floor in front of you. He had said he couldn't see, so you watched him curiously. Lieutenant Winters suddenly walked in, and you stood quickly, but he quickly nodded his head before you could even salute him, so you sat back down slowly.

As Doc Roe tended to his wounds, you heard the two men talking. "What's wrong with Blithe?" Lt. Winters asked, looking at the man seated in the corner.

"Well," Doc Roe started, turning to face him as well, "Nothing, except he can't see."

"He can't see?" Lt. Winters exclaimed, before turning to face me, "What about Y/L/N?"

Doc Roe sighed and shook his head, "She said she was fine but she won't stop trembling. Had to raise my voice at her to get her to slow down."

Winters raised an eyebrow at this and nodded, leaving Doc Roe to tend to his leg.

***

"Sergeant Lipton, Private Y/L/N," Perconte called, and the both of you looked up from what you were doing, "Lieutenant Winters wants to see the two of you."

You, now that you were feeling a lot better, and Carwood Lipton, now bearing a scar on his face, were tending to other injured soldiers once Doc Roe had gotten the two of you sorted out. Carwood was a quiet man off the battlefield, but when the bullets had started flying, almost every man would eventually turn to him. Being the only woman in the paratroopers, you were accustomed to hostility from other company men, but Sergeant Lipton always assured you that he and all the other Easy men were right behind you.

The two of you glanced at each other before picking up your gear and heading towards Lt. Winters. "What do you think this is about?" Carwood asked, looking down at you as you put back on your helmet.

You simply shrugged, and looked right up at the taller man, "No clue, Sergeant. But he was in the aid station getting his leg bandaged up. Maybe he needs help with something, sir."

Their Lieutenant had his back to you, and he was lost in thought, staring off at the city they had just besieged. "Lieutenant Winters, sir." Sergeant Lipton called, and you both stood at attention, raising your hands into a salute.

"At ease," he replied calmly. "Sergeant Lipton, Private Y/L/N," Winters continued, acknowledging the both of you, "It was recommended by one of the medics that you two be given a break."

Your eyebrows furrowed, and you looked up at Lipton, who also had confusion painted on his face. "Sir?" he asked, tilting his head slightly.

"I'm sending the two of you to Paris," Winters said, flashing a kind smile, "It's for the best of the entire company, Lip." He said the last sentence gently, placing a hand on Carwood's shoulder.

"The city of lights," Winters mumbled, raising two of his fingers into quotation marks, excusing the both of you. "Get some rest and be back within 48 hours."

***

You had your head buried in a book, but your eyebrows were scrunched in frustration, unable to focus on what you were reading. Carwood was across you, his chin rested on his hand, and he stared out the window, watching as the trees flew by. "Sir?" you called, getting his attention. He turned to face you and raised his eyebrows, "I'm trying to read, sir. But taking me away from everything has only made me more anxious."