early morning swim. | dick winters

as requested on tumblr

***

Dick stood in front of you, his hands on his hips, in his swimming trunks.

You opened your eyes slowly, adjusting to the light. Normally, you'd be happy to wake up to this. Except it was four in the morning, and there was no reason why any sane person would be up at four in the morning. You typically slept in pitch dark, and he always woke you up when he got back by pulling open the curtains and calling you down for breakfast.

Today was different. The curtains were wide open, but the room remained dark.

"What's going on?" you asked him, glancing at the clock on your side table to make sure you got the time right, "Why are you still here?"

"It's raining," he said simply, the corner of his lip twitching in annoyance. You raised your eyebrow and sat up slowly, your head still heavy with sleep. Dick paced around the room slowly, and you knew it was because he was itching to swim. He hadn't missed a single day since he had gotten back from Europe. "And I can't swim."

You bit back a giggle. He rarely showed any negative feelings, so seeing him all upset with his eyebrows furrowed together was cute for you. "I can tell, Major Winters," you teased, extending your arms towards him, reaching for a hug, "Stop moving so much, you're giving me a headache."

Dick finally smiled, raising a single finger to ask you to wait. You dropped your arms on the duvet with a huff, grumpy as well now that he not only woke you up so early, but also denied you a hug. He was in and out of the bathroom so quick, and with his pajamas back on, crawled back into bed with you.

"See," you smiled, snuggling into his arms, "There's a good thing about rain. We get to cuddle for longer."

He inhaled deeply, burying his head in your hair. "That is a good thing," he replied, but you could feel him hesitate with his words, "It's just that I haven't missed a single day since Austria."

You tilted your chin to get a good look at him, your eyebrows raised once more. "Not one?" you asked, surprised that he stayed dutiful to a habit that others would so easily break, "Even when on the boat back?"

Dick chuckled, wrapping his arms around your waist tighter and pressing a light kiss on your forehead. "Of course I missed some days when I was nowhere near water," he laughed again, like your question was too ridiculous to even take seriously, "Why do you think I bought us this house the minute I got back?"

"Because it's a nice house," you whispered, squishing your face against his chest, "And I liked this one."

He rested his chin on the top of your head, wrapping his leg around you. "Well, yes. That two," he responded slowly, "But also, we're walking distance from a pool."

Pouting, you prodded his chest with your finger. "Hey, mostly my things right?"

Dick nodded, scrunching his nose at you. "Mostly because you liked this house."

The rain pattered against the windowsill of your home gently, the sound slowly causing you to fall back into sleep. The two of you stayed there, with Dick occasionally combing through your hair and peppering your face with gentle kisses that would drag you out of sleep before his warm hugs would quickly pull you back.

Before you knew it, the patter slowly stopped, replaced with sunlight dancing through the curtains. You groggily opened your eyes, the space beside your bed cold. "Dick?" you called, your voice hoarse. The clock by your bed said nine.

At the sound of your voice, he peeked out from the bathroom, once more in his swimming trunks. "Did you sleep with those on?" you whispered, horrified at the idea, "Did you have those on the entire time?"

"I was waiting for the rain to stop," he grinned sheepishly as he walked over to your side, "I love you." Dick placed another gentle kiss on your forehead before walking out the door, leaving you there with your mouth agape.

"Not as much as you love swimming," you mumbled to yourself, but you couldn't fight the smile growing on your face. "Wait up, I'm going with you."

"You sure?" he yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"One hundred percent."

Throwing the covers off of you, you rushed to the bathroom to change into your swimsuit. You weren't the type to go swimming while the sun was out, but neither was Dick the type to still be in bed until nine in the morning.

"I love you too," you grinned at him, kissing him on the lips before running out the door, wrapped in a towel.

***

a/n: this took me way longer than it should've! but they requested fluffy cuddling and so i tried my best to deliver. this was simple, and also the first time i ever wrote for winters so i was excited to post this.

thank you so much for reading! i hope you like this one.

with love,

𝓖