Two: Bridging the Gap

Returning to the Reservation? 

There was always the possibility of this occurring, but dad had just retired from teaching, and their whole lives were based in northern California. But they want to move now? Back to the Reservation? People struggled to survive every day there, and my parents were getting too old for that struggle while we'd be too far and—and was dad ok with that? 

Another notification took my mind back to the present and the cooling spaghetti dish being absently eaten: Lisa, you still there? I was kidding haha

Kidding? Kidding!

I dialed his number immediately and it was obvious Chase picked up with some reluctance, but I knew he had a cheeky grin on his face when he answered.  He wasn't thinking of how my heart had pounded too fast in my chest.  I was waiting for it to calm down.

"Hey, don't just joke about things like that eldest brother," I said.

"I knew you would say that," he sighed. "What if she wanted to live there? It was her home, before everything happened."

"I know it's just..." I ate another fork-full of spaghetti, "it would be difficult for her, and there's dad too."

"Mom wouldn't care about that. Besides, she's not going there per say."

I froze, then put the fork down, "'Per say'?"

"Yeah, they're moving to—"

"Wait," I quickly picked up my plate and hurried to the sink.  My eyes had wandered to the clock and it was already time for me to leave! "Why don't you text me the details, ok?"

"I only know the bare minimum though."

"Whatever, just text me you teaser."

"Alright."

During the time it took me to freshen up and kiss Clyde bye till 5 p.m. my phone sang with messages from him.  I had to force myself not to read them while on the road until I was in a semi-packed elevator up to the third floor. 

From what she's told me

They plan to live in a community near Thousand Pines Reservation, but they haven't decided on where yet

Don't worry, talk to them first

You bet. My parents could count on a long conversation tonight.  It wasn't a bad thing for her to want to move back, but she hardly knew her family members and there was dad to consider.  Being away from his family wouldn't be easy.

"Ah, finally you're back!" Michelle got up from her cluttered desk as I headed for my office.

Inside she drew the chair closer as she sat and placed her tablet before me, "I need your advice on something...what happened? Is Clyde ok?"

I met her worried gaze and smiled, "He's fine."

She raised an eyebrow, "Something's bothering you though.  You looked lost in your own world walking in here."

"It's just something to do with my parents," I waved her off, "nothing serious."

Michelle stared with narrow eyes for a moment, then sighed, "If you say so..."
____

When I got home from work that day, I could hardly walk.  Everywhere was weak, limp, sweaty and miserable.  My battery was way below zero percent.  Frankly, that was normally how I felt somedays, especially since this week was set to be a busy one with all the projects to complete and the new ones we were getting.  My job in Interior design required a lot of time on my feet, running to too many stores. An equal amount of time for me to marinate in a nice bath with meditative music and fragrant candles was a necessity.