Six: On Good Terms

Tantoo Cardinal as Dyani Whistling Bird (Lisa's Aunt)

____

The call didn't fulfill my expectations. It wasn't awkward at all and when it ended, mom laughed and teased me with that maternal phrase, "Told you so."

I rolled my eyes and retreated to my room like a sulking teenager. Why was she always right? But that was common sense. My aunt, no matter how unfamiliar she still was to me, was very understanding. Our conversation was mostly catch-up. How I was, my life as a business woman, about my brothers and their lives. Apart from asking about her health, I didn't have the heart to ask how they were because I knew the answer. Mom had filled in those details. There was no need to relive it. But she told me about my cousins and I was able to speak with my grandmother. People called her Grandma Sky. After our conversation, I liked her even more.

This idea mom had of moving nearer, wasn't bad at all. I wanted to go and see them more often. It was yet to be seen if that part of me would be ignited but we would know each other better.

Later that afternoon, I stopped by Adriel's apartment. Before I even knocked, Clyde was already at the door voicing his adorable excitement.

"Alright, calm down." Adriel's baritone voice came muffled from beyond the door. It swung open, and he greeted me with a grin. My cat was cradled in his arm, trying without much progress to grasp me.

"It seemed you had forgotten him," Adriel said, then handed me a soft mess of purrs and frantic head rubs.

"Aww," I cooed and scratched his ears, "I missed you too."

Adriel rolled his eyes, "And that is why no boyfriend exists." He retreated into the apartment before I could attack.

"Excuse me?"

"Just come inside and shut the door Lisa!"

I did so with a scoff and complaint to Clyde before strolling into the living-room and adjoining kitchen.

"Oh!"

My brother wasn't alone. Sharon was seated upon a stool at the island with a bowl of grapes before her. She was nice enough, but there was no natural affinity between us and I couldn't quite pinpoint why. There were no major blunders made in their relationship yet. Till that day came—which I admit was prayed for earnestly—I hoped Adriel didn't introduce her to his bedroom.

As if on cue, he kissed her with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Perhaps it was too late, and so what? If it didn't work, I'd just remind him of past warnings. A sweet smile graced my face as Clyde scrambled to the floor. I sat beside Sharon and promptly stole her grapes with a greeting.

She laughed, "One day, maybe after the wedding, we'll be best friends Lisa."

I bit into a grape and its sweet juice bathed my mouth. The smile couldn't leave my lips, "No offence but there will be no wedding."

Sharon laughed even louder. I didn't hesitate to join her until Adriel sighed in frustration and took the bowl for himself.

"Thanks," he said, "since everyone's too busy."

We quit bickering in an instant and shifted to tolerating each other in silence. Adriel returned to transplanting slices of pizza into three plates while humming a tune.

"By the way," he added, "there will be a wedding."

Sharon wiggled her eyebrows at me. I glanced at her ring finger. It lay harmlessly void of any proof for now at least. "I'll believe it when I see it."