Chapter 12: "I DID WHAT?!"

Sweat dripped from Hope’s brow as she crouched down, though her intense focus never wavered from her opponent.

Rafael aimed a low kick at her. She shifted out of the way and grabbed his leg, her own swinging low beneath him.

The leg on which his weight rested gave way and he hit the gym matt. Hard.

Hope stepped back, heart pounding. Rafael planted his hands above his shoulders and catapulted himself back into a standing position.

He grinned at her as he took an offensive stance, his eyes glowing.

One corner of Hope’s lips arched arrogantly. Her own eyes went up in golden flames.

(…)

It had been a long and intense sparring session between the two wolves that saw both of them flat on their backs, heaving, by the end of it. Hope welcomed the burn of her muscles and the rapid expansion of her lungs. She could feel the tingle of rushing blood spread through her extremities and it made her feel alive.

She had desperately needed the workout to clear her head.

“Are you okay?” Rafael asked her breathlessly after a few minutes as they both just lay on their backs, staring at the high ceiling of the gym.

“No. Are you?” She almost snorted cynically.

“No.” Rafael himself chuckled darkly in response.

“It wasn’t your fault, you know.” Hope finally said softly after another few long minutes, as if reading her companion’s mind.

“It sure feels like it was.” Rafael’s response was barely above a whisper.

“It was all on the Necromancer. He’s the only one to blame here.” Hope sighed. “But I understand how you feel. If I had just been… I should have…” She trailed off thoughtfully, unable to string the right words together.

“No, it wasn’t your duty to save him or protect him. He was a tough guy. He could take care of himself. It’s just… How could he have known it would come from me…” Rafael’s brow creased in deep, emotional lines.

“It wasn’t your fault.” Hope repeated once more, with emphasis. “And when I find this guy… He will pay for what he has done.” She set her jaw tightly at the thought of the gore she’d like to wreak upon the monster.

“I think we all feel that way, Hope. But he’s all jacked up on dark magic now. I don’t know how any of us can take him on.” Rafael was just as eager to rip the Necromancer apart, but his sensibility reminded him that it would be a near impossible battle.

“We’ll find a way…” Hope whispered and sighed, her head lolling to the side so that she could glance over at her friend.

Rafael rolled over onto his stomach and lifted himself up by his elbows, watching her in return. “So, how about you tell me about that long nap of yours. What was that like?”

Hope shrugged as she raised her brows in response. “Honestly, I can’t really say much. I remember talking to Josie, telling her she’s strong enough to defeat the darkness. But after that…” Hope waved her hands, palms up, indicating that she didn’t have much more to add. “Things went black. I remember vague images of running through a forest in my wolf. I remember smelling Josie. I think she was with me at some stage. But the images are all random and nonsensical. I really have no idea what happened.”

Rafael frowned at her and then raised one brow high up as he stared down at the girl. “You don’t even remember biting her?”

Hope cringed. “Jade? Yeah I don’t, but I heard all about it. I should probably apologize…”