Chapter 30: Crescent

“Have I expressed my complete aversion to this idea lately?” Hope scrunched up her nose as she trudged through the Bayou just slightly in front of Josie, the two headed in the direction of the camp of the pack of wolves they encountered the previous day.

“Well no, I think it’s been a whole five minutes since the last time. Better do it again to make up for lost time.” Josie snarked at Hope sarcastically, though she was really just messing around with her. Clearly, she herself lacked much of the weariness and doubt that Hope was experiencing.

Josie couldn’t quite put her finger on it or explain it, but there was just something about the group of youngsters that reassured her. She didn’t feel like they were to be feared, even when they were threatening the girls. They seemed to be acting more out of anxiety and self-defense than anything else. Josie got a sense about them akin to the feeling that they were more like a small group of lost puppies than a pack of fearsome wolves.

Hope, however, was tense. It rippled through her every muscle as she kept her body ready for any sort of surprise attack. She felt jumpy at every little leaf that hit the ground, or twig that would snap beneath their feet. She would stay weary and aware at all times, ready, determined to keep Josie safe at all costs.

“You two looking for little ol’ me?” Hope sensed the presence before she spoke and stepped protectively in front of Josie, both of them turning when they heard the voice.

“Are you alone?” Josie spoke up as she stepped out from behind Hope.

“For now.” Nimyra answered as she perched herself on a nearby log. “You better speak fast.”

Hope allowed Josie to approach the she-wolf, but made sure that there remained enough distance between the two should the wolf turn hostile. She kept her guard up and looked around repeatedly for any signs of the rest of the pack, while Josie had her much-desired conversation.

Hope hated this with vehemence, though she had promised Josie she would not treat her as if she were a helpless damsel. She respected her enough to agree to that much.

“What do you know about the Geminis?” Josie asked, her eyes focused on the set of ice blue ones before her.

“Well now that’s a boring question, and not the question you really came here to ask.” Nimyra scoffed and stood from her perch, idly walking around the fallen tree. “You want answers to the unasked questions, Josette. Like… what is likely to happen to you as a Gemini twin if you were to turn into a hybrid.” She smirked, her smile as smart and sharp as the look in her eyes.

“How did you even know I was one?” Josie asked, a deep scowl settling in on her brow.

“I could sense it.” Nimyra shrugged and Josie looked even more confused.

“She’s one of those rare hybrids I told you about.” Hope interjected, finally realizing what Nimyra was and why she was so intuitive around the girls. It wasn’t just the wolf in her, but also the witch magic she held.

“Indeed.” Nimyra continued to pace idly, kicking up some leaves here, or running her fingers along a tree there. Finally, she meandered back to the fallen tree stump and rested one foot atop it, leaning her body onto her bent knee in support. “The only difference between you and I, Josette, is that you’re not fully a hybrid yet. I guess you could blame your tribrid ‘friend’ for that one.”

“You do NOT want to piss me off, wolf-witch.” Hope spat at her; nerves coiled like a spring ready to be released.

“No, I don’t. So why are you so goddamn touchy? Geez…” The girl laughed at Hope, then returned her grin to Josie. “So, here’s a little bit of juicy information that you might appreciate.” She paused for effect, just waiting to see the smallest twitch of anticipation in Josie’s pouty lips before she continued. “When, or if, you do become a full hybrid before you turn 22, you won’t have to go through with the merger. If you become a full hybrid, you will no longer be eligible. Your twin will automatically assume leadership of the coven, without consuming you or your power.”