Chapter 34: Confronted

Hope was at a loss for words.

And she was utterly exhausted.

She had tried to make the effort to reestablish communication with Josie, and though it got off to a fairly decent pace after the beginning, it very quickly dissolved into coldness once more.

She was out of angles to try. And on top of the stress of sorting out things with Josie, she still had to deal with Landon.

She had been very unsure of her feelings for Landon over the past few days. They had hung out since she returned from New Orleans, but as best as she could she kept him just slightly at arm’s length. She had shown him affection as she still very much felt affection for him, but even that had its limits. She couldn’t help that her feelings were waning and even though she loved him, she knew she had fallen out of love with him. Or rather she was forced out of love with him by falling in love anew.

She could be with Landon still and he would probably make her feel content. But he was no longer who she wanted. He would be nothing but a consolation prize if she were to truly lose the one she longed for; the one her wolf longed for; the one her soul longed for; the one her heart longed for.

Josie.

Hope trekked up to her room with a heavy heart, the image of Josie walking away from her in the garden a short while back still playing through her memories. She just needed a breather, but she would have no such luck. She was rather surprised to find, upon entering her own room, a lazy Lizzie Saltzman lounging around on her bed, clearly waiting for her to make an appearance.

“What are you doing in here?” Hope blinked at the blonde, then scowled. “Wait, how did you even get in? I always charm the lock.”

“Why’s that? Got something to hide?” Lizzie smirked and drew herself into a sitting position on Hope’s bed, eyeing her curiously.

“Uhh, my privacy?” Hope arched one brow and gave Lizzie a pointed look of indignation.

“Well, your privacy is boring. I already checked. Nothing fun and interesting hidden away in here.” Lizzie shrugged and casually moved off the bed and glanced around the room with a look of disappointment.

“Lizzie! How did you get in, and why are you here?” Hope reiterated her initial questions. She was building an intense headache and was honestly not sure whether she had the strength for the blonde twin right now.

“I’m a siphon, Hope, or have you forgotten? I can suck the magic out of just about anything. Your charms won’t work with me… well unless…”

“Unless I put a siphon block charm up as well, thanks. I’ll remember that next time.” Hope grinned at her sarcastically and moved past her to her chest of drawers, looking for some casual clothes as her academic day had come to an end and she could change out of her uniform. She fully intended on spending the rest of the evening in bed, and then going for a run all through the night. She had a lot on her mind that needed outing. “And again I ask, what do you want, Lizzie?”

“You and my sister to make up.” Lizzie said simply, crossing her arms.

Hope paused for a moment, then glanced back over her shoulder without actually meeting Lizzie’s eyes. “I tried. She’s not having it.”

“Well then you need to try harder, Hope, because I can’t stand another night of her crying herself to sleep in my arms.” Lizzie ground out, demanding that Hope pay her some proper attention now as she spoke.

Hope turned around and sighed, finally looking up at the girl. “She wants me to claim my birthright and take alpha position in a pack of wolves I don’t even know. It’s just really overwhelming to think about.” Hope tried to defend herself, but there was also a pleading quality to her tone of voice, very much like a scared little girl.