we belong together // fluff

shuichi saihara sighed. how ironic.

it was the senior prom. he'd come with his best friend, kaede akamatsu, but she ditched him for rantaro amami, the coolest guy in the grade. all the girls adored him. so why was saihara so confused about akamatsu leaving him?

because that's exactly what she said she wouldn't do.

the more he thought about it, the sadder he became. he never had any romantic feelings for the girl, even though he knew she wouldn't like him back if he did. he slouched his shoulders and looked up into the night sky, wiping away tears as he sat on the rooftop. he then realized his eyeliner was running; how embarrassing.

he was just about to get up, and go down to the main floor, where he could confront akamatsu. he wasn't one for fighting, but she hurt him, and she knew it. was a boyfriend really more important than her best friend?

suddenly, he felt someone sit down next to him.

"hey, saihara-chan."

kokichi ouma.

"..hey, ouma.." saihara said, looking over to the shorter. well, more like looking down at him..

"what're you up here for?" ouma asked with a shaky voice. saihara then noticed ouma had run eyeliner, as well.

"...what are you up here for?" saihara asked, avoiding the question.

"don't avoid the question, saihara-chan..."

"okay.. well, i-i came here with akamatsu.. and she dumped me for amami..." he explained.

"she did that?" ouma asked, worriedly. "i'm so sorry, saihara-chan."

"i-it's okay.." saihara muttered. he was surprised ouma wasn't teasing him for that.

"what about you?" saihara said, looking back up at the sky.

ouma absentmindedly rested his head on saihara's shoulder, making said boy freeze.

"..actually, i came here with amami.." he sighed.

"..really?" saihara questioned. "i didn't know he was into guys."

"i didn't know he was such a backstabbing bitch," ouma said, angrily. saihara chuckled a bit.

"it's not funny!" ouma pouted.

"alright, alright." saihara said.

they sat in silence for a while. yet it was a comfortable silence, like they both knew that what needed to be said had already been said.

ouma swung his feet from the roof. "this is a little dangerous, saihara-chan," ouma joked. "it's totally scary! save me!!" he squealed, laughing all the while.

he threw himself at saihara, making them both stumble a bit.

"..ah.. sorry.." ouma apologized, still laughing.

"it's fine," saihara said, laughing as well.

more silence.

"hey, ouma, uhm.." saihara stuttered, and ouma tilted his head. "uhm.. would you.. wanna.. be my new date to the dance..?"

ouma just stared in shock. saihara waited for a response, but nothing came.

ouma cleared his throat. "uhm.. y-yeah! totally!" he said, a slight shake in his voice.

so, saihara stood up, and held his hand out for ouma to take.

the moment their hands touched, ouma blushed profusely. saihara laughed at this.

"w-what? is there something on my face?" ouma asked, anxiously.

"..no, you're fine." saihara said. "i think you look very handsome, kokichi."

ouma was practically dying at this point. his crush just called him by his first name, and asked him to prom? was he dreaming?

he pinched himself on the face, but got nothing but a small sting of pain.

saihara chuckled. "this is real, ouma."

ouma smiled, and realized they were still holding hands. quickly, he stood up on his toes and gave saihara a quick peck on the cheek. saihara blushed.

"c-come on! we're gonna miss the dance!" ouma exclaimed, dragging saihara downstairs. said boy stumbled trying to catch up to the smaller.

as soon as they entered the gym, they caught sight of akamatsu and amami making out. they both cringed.

"jeez, didn't know i was that replaceable." ouma sighed, and saihara shared the same thought.

they stood in awkward silence for a bit, each of them not having a clue how this worked.

the next song, however, struck a fire in saihara.

we belong together by ritchie valens.

"may i have this dance?" saihara asked dramatically, offering a hand to ouma.

ouma giggled. "you may," and he took his hand.

they stumbled onto the dance floor, surrounded by other couples, including akamatsu and amami. however, the two boys had no intention of paying attention to them.

ouma rested his arms on saihara's shoulders, and saihara's hands found their place around ouma's waist.

they danced peacefully, both feeling fully content.

ouma rested his head on saihara's chest, and continued to dance. saihara smiled at this, and gave the shorter a kiss on the temple.

"thank you," saihara said."

"for what?" ouma questioned.

"for this," saihara explained. "for tonight."

( art by cosmicapproach on instagram !! )

holy crap. that was quite the finger workout. anywayz,,, they r soft. they dance.