7

March 1, New York

Nearly a week has passed since China's execution. However in many ways, New York did not change. The birds chirped and sang and flew in the blue sky amongst the tall skyscrapers, exactly the same way they did last spring. Merry chatter and noises filled the streets. Flowers bloomed in the special way they always did in spring, much beautiful and much more vivid than any other seasons.

However, America had a burning sense of guilt that kept haunting him since that day, since that time when his head formed five words into a complete sentence 'This is far too easy.'

Had he done something wrong? America kept asking himself as he sat in his office at the UN headquarters. Had he accused, and eventually killed, the wrong person?

But then he thought again.
No, it can't be. There weren't any murders following that day.
That gave him a little bit of hope and happiness.

However, in cases as such, we cannot depend on hope alone.

America eventually decided that he should focus on the paperwork he was assigned, and not about China and whatever 'crap' that was going on his head.
Hmm let's see..., America thought as he scanned the papers, Pollution, global warming, terrorist attacks in the Middle East... when someone opened the door without knocking.

"Okay, what do you want?" America asked in an annoyed tone he was sure came out of his mouth as an accident when he looked up and saw NATO.

"Oh, uh, hello, Sir," he stuttered out, wishing he hadn't said the words above, "What would you like to-"

He was immediately cut off when NATO grabbed his wrist and dragged him out of the office in an urgent manner. He kept dragging him across the corridor, until America came to a halt just to have NATO release his wrist.

"NATO," America said to a very worried and shaky NATO, "just calm down. It's nothing so urgent isn't i- wait a minute..."

The two stared at each other in silence, regardless of the noise around them.

"B-but I-it's not really someone i-important...?" America looked hopefully at a very grim-looking NATO.

NATO did not choose to answer this by grabbing the country's wrist once again and, as they went, merely replied with, "We're almost close to the hospital wing. C'mon!"

And maybe NATO was right, or they were running in the hallways (an unadvisable thing to do at any public places), they finally reached the hospital wing within what it seemed like seconds. America slammed open the door (once again to WHO's disapproval) to see two other countries and their inner circle consisting of five, no, four countries (now that China was gone) standing around a bed at the middle of the room... or was it only three?

He immediately strode to the tight knit group and his heart exploded.

His very own mother, a lady with a blue stripe and a red stripe on her face, the woman whom we all know as France, lay on the bed, her khaki uniform and the bedsheets dyed the same crimson shade of her kepi. However we can see that the right side of her head had been beaten raw.
What does that indicate?

"WHO said her body was found in the storage room," a more familiar face, namely Germany, told him.

But America was barely listening. All he could see was the lifeless body of France, knowing that his suspicions had come true, knowing that he had killed the wrong person.
He sat on a nearby chair and he felt his mind taking over, his consciousness of the commotion around him ebb away.
He thought he could hear someone saying, "America! America!" But it sounded like a mere echo from far, far away.