chapter 25

The Nigerian Scoop, 1st of September 1997, Written by Susan Stephens.

After a month long disappearance and suspected kidnapping, Toluwanimi Kingston and girlfriend Tamika Afolabi have announced their marriage. According to a statement released by the estate of both families, the two decided on an impromptu vacation that later led to an equally impromptu wedding, also it was stated that the lucky groom's best man was none other than rising politician, Remilekun Phillips who is said to have been a long time friend of the couple.

More details about the wedding including the exact date is yet to be announced, it is unclear if the family of the groom were aware of the wedding, as the parents of Tamika Afolabi were involved in a ghastly accident several years ago.

The news of a new marriage is definitely a cause for celebration, especially concerning the recent scandal that rocked the Kingston conglomerate a few months ago exposing Daniel Kingston's less than legal business dealings and former EFCC investigation, the media mogul has now pledged all his resources towards assisting Remilekun Phillips' political campaign.

The news also comes as a surprise to a few well wishers and friends of the family, especially since the famous couple were known to have broken up — as seen at the birthday party of Toluwanimi's father in the beginning of the year. A source reached out to us concerning this, stating; "It is indeed a surprise, Mika and Tolu have not been seen together since July, when they publicly had a row, in fact, the former had begun seeing other people. . ."

We have reached out to the couple for a statement on this but have yet to receive anything on it, we do hope for a blissful marriage.

In other related news, Remilekun Phillips declares mysterious organization, Rising Sun — famous for giving out seemingly implicating news on the former's campaign — nothing but a budding terrorist group.

***

Sanmi padded into the kitchen barefooted and bare chested, although he was quick to regret the latter when he caught the sweeping stare Tope gave him, the same stare she hide behind her mug of tea, the Lipton label hanging out. He cursed under his breath, wishing he had put on the dirty shirt nonetheless, because he might not show it, he was definitely still attracted to her, as she was to him.

It was better to remember that.

"Good morning," He mumbled, staying put where he stood near the refrigerator, he pulled open the door, relishing the cool blast of air. Sanmi turned to give Tope a teasing stare, the fridge was poorly stocked as usual and he knew she'd find an excuse to give for it.

"Again?" He gestured to the open fridge and back to her.

Tope gave a shrug, a half smile on her lips. "Plotting revenge for one's godfather doesn't exactly give one time to shop for provisions."

"Bullshit, you're just the laziest person in the world."

She lifted her mug in mocking salute. "And your morning isn't complete until you swear."

Sanmi gave a soft laugh, patting down his hair self consciously. It was strange and at the same time familiar how they still knew the little things about each other. It was almost as if he had never left, never chose drugs above her.

It seemed like she was thinking the same thing because she hurriedly gulped her team and set the mug down on the kitchen cabinet.

"Put on a shirt, Ilesanmi, now." Tope said firmly. Or not.

He grinned, she only called him by his full name when she was angry or flustered by something he did which was often. Their story was the typical cliche, boy meets girl, boy brings out the bold and worst side of girl, although Tope had always had her moments of biting sarcasm and boldness.