Part 15

It was sunrise when they reached ZhengZhou. It’s the capital and largest city of Henan province, making it metropolitan city that serves political, economic, technological and educational center of the province. And as expected from a metropolitan city, it was already crowded even when the sun was still peeking.

Yibo avoided the main street and chose the suburb. He stopped at a small noodle house and had breakfast.

“Laoban, do you know a guest house or hotel where we can rest for short time?” Yibo asked the owner when he came to serve the noodle.

The owner looked at him and Xiao Zhan in curiosity while serving the noodles. It was understandable for the owner for being so curious because both of them looked like shit after six hours riding. But Yibo didn’t seem care. “What kind of hotel?”

“Me and my friend are heading out of town and just need a place to sleep for a couple of hours before continuing,” Yibo replied.

“Oh… where are you heading?”

Yibo smiled. Too much asking, he thought. “Beijing.”

“Beijing is still long way to go,” the owner said again.

“I’m aware.” Yibo stared at him.

The owner nodded, realized that Yibo was kinda impatient. He showed Yibo some places where he could go.

Yibo and Xiao Zhan ate fast and checked in. The hotel owner wasn’t even better that the noodle-house owner. He looked at Yibo with a smug smile before checking on Xiao Zhan from head to toe, thinking that they were a pair of twinks who needed place to fuck.

Yibo smirked, grabbing Xiao Zhan by his waist after snatching the key from the owner while putting his pointer against his lips, shushing.

Xiao Zhan entangled himself as soon as they were in the room and sat down on the bed.

Yibo sat on the floor and reached for his backpack to check on his phone.

No message. He reached for his earpiece and looked at it carefully. Why could Wang Han contact him? Logically it was out of reach. Where was he exactly?

Was it really Wang Han’s voice? Or he was being delusional?

He turned on his phone and checked on the maps. Changsa was almost eight hours driving away from here, ten hours top. It was still long way to go.

Didn’t Wang Han have closer place for them to go, instead of his residence in Changsa?

Yibo groaned. If only he was alone, everything would be easier. But he was taking a civilian. That was a different story. Not to mention that this certain civilian was hard to handle.

Yibo turned his head to look at Xiao Zhan who was still sitting on the bed. He looked so devastated, tired, drained…

“Zhan-ge, you okay?” Yibo asked.

“…”

Yibo took a deep breath. He decided that it was time for them to really talk. So he took a seat next to Xiao Zhan on the bed. “Ge, what is actually happening to you?”

Xiao Zhan shook his head.

“You’re not okay,” Yibo said.

“I’m just tired. Let me sleep, Yibo…”

Yibo was hesitated for a moment before finally nodded, giving space for Xiao Zhan to lie down. He pulled the converter and rubbed Xiao Zhan’s upper arm gently. “Rest well, Ge.”

Yibo then put all his devices into the backpack and laid down next to Xiao Zhan. He took a glance at Xiao Zhan’s back that was facing him, and then he turned to his side, silently watching that back until he drifted to sleep.