fifteen; positive as ever

WARNING: Anxiety, PTSD, flashbacks, and CHILD ABUSE. LETTIE HAS A VERY VIVID FLASHBACK, SERIOUS TRIGGER WARNING.

The afternoon swell treated Lettie well. The waves were barrelling, and shot out of them like a cannon. In her head, she scored herself after each wave as if she were in competition, which she honestly missed, and no surprise; she was holding up trophies in her brain. It was just Lettie, Jj, and Pope who hit the surf, Kiara had decided to stay at the Chateau with John B and Sarah to prepare equipment and their game plan for the night ahead.

Once the trio had retired back to John B's, the sun had set, and it was almost time to go. Lettie threw on a black long sleeved shirt and some black shorts, deciding to wear her usual scuffed up vans.

"Are we sure there's gonna be no cops? Because I'm really not trying to get deported tonight!" Lettie calls, exiting the spare room. She makes her way to the living room, where the Pogues are scattered.

"Frenchie, I've told you a million times," Kiara says, "There won't be cops."

"Deported?" Sarah says, her brows furrowed, "What do you mean?"

"Oh joy, I get to explain this again," Lettie mumbles, raising her eyes to Sarah, "My mom is from France, and if I get in trouble with the police, or arrested or anything, technically ICE has authority to throw her out of the country." Huffing, Lettie sits down on the couch.

John B shrugs, "Good thing we don't have to worry about that, because there won't be cops," His expression is reassuring, and Lettie nods, really hoping for the best.

"Yeah," Jj chirps, "If there are, they'll be more focused on me breaking my probation than anything else. So, you'll be fine."

Lettie eyes the blond beside her, "Are you being reassuring right now? Is that what's happening?"

"Are you scared?"

"Biologically impossible."

"What?" Sarah asks, looking confused.

"Oh, Sarah Cameron," Lettie sighs, "You've got a lot of backstory to learn."

Kiara stands up from her seat, "Tell her in the car," She says, "It's time to go."

--

Lettie spares Sarah a lot of the details, she basically just says her abusive piece of shit father gave her brain damage and screwed up the fear center of her brain. Sarah nodded when Lettie finished, having no questions for the girl as the van chugs along the road.

"Alright, you guys got rope?" John B asks from the driver's seat.

Pope goes through the bag they're using, "Got it."

"Grappling hook?"

Pope furrows his brows, and Lettie can tell he's trying not to roll his eyes at his friend, "We don't have a grappling hook, we're not Batman."

"Unfortunate," Lettie sighs, "That would make this so much cooler."

"Right?!" John B calls, getting minorly distracted before he continues, "Pulley?"

"Check!" Kiara says, looking over Pope's shoulder into the bag.

"Dark clothes?"

Sarah is the one who speaks this time, "Got it!"

"Flashlights?"

Jj turns it on, briefly flashing his light at Lettie who gives him a gentle shove to make him stop, "Check."

"Let," John B says, "How's that attitude?"

She gives him a thumbs up, catching his eye in the rearview mirror, "As positive as ever, JB."