blind date

today was the day of my first ever blind date. i didn't really have any choice in the matter, my friend y/f/n set it up.

her/his mum was having a small party which i was also invited to, and y/f/n was bringing a date and s/he wanted me to bring one too.

the people that y/f/n usually sets me up with were not the brightest people.

there was a guy s/he wanted to set me up with who thought potpourri was a tropical disease.

anyways, since s/he had basically arranged the whole thing already, the one thing they let me decide was where to have the date.

since my other best friends were steve and robin at scoops ahoy, i wanted to have the date there.

yeah, it would be kind of weird having them watch me on a date, but there was about a 95% guarantee this guy was going to be a weirdo, so my plan was to have a code word so they could get me out of the date.

"hey guys." i approached steve and robin at the counter- who were obviously bickering about something- and leaned on the surface facing the store.

"ready for your date with the man of your dreams?" robin smirked amusedly at me, which i rolled my eyes back.

"no. which is why i have a plan." i turn around and point at them both.

robin raises her eyebrows and steve just looks confused.

"what's the plan?" steve asks me.

"glad you asked steve. so, i'll sit here-" i gestured to a table right in front of the counter. "and i'll be facing you. if it's going terribly, we need a code word that we can just slip into conversation."

"how about if you ask me for more sprinkles?" robin suggests.

"yes, perfect! okay, code word is more sprinkles." i tell them both, making sure they remember.

"and then i'll say, 'the kitchen is on fire, everybody out' and then he'll have to leave." steve adds, and i nod enthusiastically.

"okay great. thank you guys. it's one of y/f/n's friends, so i'm kind of dreading it." i laughed, but then realised steve and robin weren't listening to me.

they were looking behind me, pointing at someone and then covering their mouths.

maybe that was him behind me, the guy i was going on a date with.

is he behind me?, i mouthed to my friends. they both frantically nodded, and i turned around to face him.

holy shit.

i knew he was gonna be a weirdo. he was so much smaller than me, about a head shorter.

his hair was slick with gel, way more product than even steve uses.

the guy was wearing a leather jacket, some black jeans and dark sunglasses, chewing some gum incredibly obnoxiously. he looked like a knock off danny from grease.

already dreading it, i went to say hi.

"hey, i'm y/n." i introduce myself, cringing as i watch him trying to be cool, leaning on the table and looking at the ceiling, purposefully avoiding eye contact.

"you wanna sit down?" after i had no answer when i introduced myself, i just wanted to get this over and done with.

the boy- who didn't bother telling me his name- just followed me to the table.

i sat down and glanced at robin and steve, who were laughing their asses off into a tea towel and holding their stomachs.

about 5 minutes had passed of me trying to make small talk while only getting one word answers back, if that.

robin had come over to our table, and was holding back laughter with all of her willpower.

"do you guys want anything?" she looks at both of us, and i jump in straight away.

"yeah, robin, i was wondering if i could have some more sprinkles." i glare at her, desperate for a way out.

she just looked at me and laughed. "you haven't ordered any ice cream yet." then she just strolled back over to steve, who was hiding his smile with his tea towel.

watching the two of them giggle to themselves made me even more frustrated. this guy wasn't making an effort at all, and my friends weren't even helping me.

"how's the kitchen steve, it's not on fire is it?" my glare was even more intense now, if they didn't help me i would be so pissed at them.

"y/n this is an ice cream store, why would there be a fire?" steve stops himself laughing and takes away the tea towel from his face to talk back to me.

the two of them burst into giggles again, leaving me just staring them down, shooting daggers at them both.

if i left, would this guy really care? it looks like he would rather be anywhere else right now.

telling the guy i'm going to order, i storm up to the counter.

"you guys were meant to save me!" i whisper yelled at them, full of anger.

they both just carried on chuckling away at me, while i grumpily told them i wanted a cherry coke.

after a few moments, steve hands me the drink. "y/n, you're date is waiting for you."

i begrudgingly walk back over to the table dragging my feet as i walked.

feeling steve and robin's eyes watching me, i start sipping my drink deliberately trying to avoid looking at them, waiting for my date to speak- or just enjoying the silence.

"do you wanna have sex?" he asks me, and i almost choked on my drink. he had barely said a word the entire time, now that's what he says?

robin was on the ground, curled up with tears in her eyes, while steve had his head on the counter, his arms over his head.

they were both in pieces, they couldn't get a grip on their laughter.

i just wanted to get out of there, so thinking on my feet i throw my entire drink all down myself.

"oh no, look what happened." i say sarcastically, and look down at the huge stain on my shirt.

"looks like i'm going to have to go." i get my bag and sling it over my shoulder, and slide my chair back under the table.

as i start walking, i throw the empty cup at steve and robin. "assholes." i said as i threw the cup and stormed out.