one

Maleena's POV

My name is Maleena. I'm a sophomore at Bishop Ireton High School. You know when people say high school is the best years of your lives? It's bullshit. High school is complete bullshit. You may think that my life isn't that terrible because I'm a cheerleader. But cheerleading just makes it worse.

I was the only freshman to make it on Varsity Cheer last year.  Since I'm a cheerleader, I earned the label of 'slut' and 'whore.' It really isn't me, though. It's the girls on Varsity Cheer. They are all slutty and stuff like that. So everyone thinks I'm slutty because I'm on Varsity Cheer. I'm really quiet in school. I don't want to be noticed because I'll be called a whore.

I only have one friend, her name is Kylie. She knows me inside and out. Kylie was the only one who noticed me alone. I missed her all summer because she was visiting her cousins in Europe the whole time. The first day of sophomore year is tomorrow and Kylie isn't in my homeroom or any of my classes. Sophomore year is bound to suck.

The Next Morning

I woke up at 6:30 in the morning. It was hard as hell but I managed to pull myself out of bed. I'm still in summer mode. I walked into my bathroom and took a quick shower. When I got out, it was 6:45. I dried my long, brown hair. My dog, Chewie, walked into my bathroom. "Hi Chewie!" I scratched her neck. She jumped up on my bed and fell asleep. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and curled the ends. My cheer bow was downstairs, so I ran and clipped it in my hair. My bus was here! I ran with my backpack, a granola bar and lunch then took a seat. 

"It's the slut!" "Eww she's disgusing." "How many people do you think she slept with?" "What's wrong with her?" I heard people whisper. I sighed and put in my earphones. Taylor Swift, Blank Space. I really like this song. My music played until we arrived at the school.

I dragged myself through the familiar doors. Honestly, I don't think I'm ready to go back to hell. Don't you wish we had a choice? My homeroom teacher is Mrs. Cunha, Room 108. When I walked in, everyone was there, rolling their eyes at me. A few more kids entered, then we got started.

"Hello class! I'm Mrs. Cunha, your homeroom teacher and the English teacher. I will be assigning the seats now, they are in alphabetical order." Mrs. Cunha had grey hair and glasses. She is really happy like my grandma. "Zack Abraham and Clarissa Bennet..." She read off a list while pointing to the desks. The desks were sets of two and in rows.

"Maleena Ella and Matthew Espinosa." Mrs. Cunha pointed to a pair of desks. I took my seat next to Matthew. "Hi. I'm Matthew. You can call me Matt." He waved. I giggled. "I'm Maleena. You can call me Maleena." I laughed. Why was this boy talking to me? Nobody ever does. That's weird. "No nickname?" Matt raised an eyebrow. "If you can think of one." I fixed my ponytail. "Hmm.... Wait... No... What about Beena?" He smiled. "Beena?" I giggled. He nodded. "Okay." I smiled.

Homeroom ended and I walked to my locker. I put in all my books and closed the door. Behind it was Matt. "Hey Beena." He said as he put the combination in the locker next to mine. "Looks like we're locker buddies!" I smiled. "Yeah, we are!" He smiled and did a little dance. We both laughed and went to the assembly.

On the first day of school, we have an assembly where all the teachers introduce themselves. Matt and I took a seat on the bleachers. "So, you cheer?" He asked me. "Yup. Varsity Cheer. What about you?" I asked. "Varsity Football. Only freshman to get on it, actually." "Same omg." I laughed. "Matt!" A guy a couple bleachers above us yelled and winked. I'm guessing it was one of Matt's friends. 

"I'll be right back, Beena." Matt ran up the bleachers. Matt and the guy talked while looking at me. I just gave Matt my best 'Bish Whet?' face. He laughed. After about five minutes, he came back down. "Miss me?" He smiled. "I'll think about it." I laughed. 

After the assembly, we had the rest of the day to talk and stuff. But I had to go to cheer and Matt had to go to football. Once that was over, it was time to leave. Matt and I met up at our lockers. "Can I walk you home?" Matt asked. "Yeah. Let's go!" I smiled. 

We started walking down the sidewalk. My house was pretty close, maybe 5 miles away from the school. "Do you live around here?" I asked as we started approaching my house. "Yeah, actually. Oh my gosh, I do live here. I'm only three houses down!" He looked into the distance. We walked up onto the porch of my house. "Thanks for walking me home." I smiled. "It was my pleasure, Beena." I laughed as I unlocked the door. "Bye Ma-" "Wait!" Matt interrupted me. "What?" I raised an eyebrow. "Can I get your number?" Matt scratched the back of his neck. "Here." I put my number in his phone. "Text you later Beena!!!" Matt stumbled down the steps of my porch.