NINETEEN

19. what is he doing here?

IT HAD BEEN THREE DAYS SINCE AMY HAD seen Laurie, and she was fiddling with her fingers as they made their way to the ball

"Are you okay, Amy?" Kate asked the girl, who just nodded and smiled, continuing to fiddle with her hands before Fred took one.

"So Kate, tell us about your little trip, what happened?" Flo asked the girl, empathy scattered all around her face as Kate spoke about how her girlfriend admitted that she felt guilty about 'betraying god', making the friends burst into laughter till they arrived at the ball.

It was a gorgeous Paris mansion, filled with many fancy people enjoying the dance. An hour or so had passed, and none of the friends had gotten drunk, realizing it would be better to n not at the party with important people filled in it.

 Amy was lively, talking to everyone and dancing with Fred, being everyone's favorite at the party as she sometimes stares at the entrance, no one else knowing who she had been waiting for.

"Amy! You've got to try out this new champagne! It's delicious!" Flo took Amy's arm, leading her next to the couches were the drinks table were, but Amy drifted off, making Flo walk behind her.

"Laurie..." Amy faces the boy, who had two girls with him, clearly drunk.

"Amy!"

"What is he doing here?" Flo appears, trying hard to not look at the boy's face.

"Flo, you've grown so much..." the boy whispers, squinting his eyes to see the blonde girl better, who chooses to ignore him.

"I had to wait an hour for you!"

"You invited him?" Flo asked, confused as Amy nodded shyly.

"I feel caught..." Laurie makes space for the two March sisters while the two girls standing next to him leaves.

Amy turns around, pulling Flo behind her with her head facing down.

"Amy, please!"

"DO you want to know what I honestly think of you?" Amy asks, clearly mad as she had been squeezing Flo's arm too hard.

"What do you honestly think of me?"

"I despise you..."

"Why do you despise me?" Laurie nearly laughs.

"Because with every chance for being good, useful, and happy, you are faulty, lazy and miserable!"

"Oh, this is interesting..." Laurie laughs again, making Flo angry as she speaks up.

"Selfish people do like to talk about themselves..."

"Am I selfish, Flo?"

"yes, very selfish. WIth your money, talent, beauty, and health-" Laurie interrupts Flo, who is now very annoyed by the drunk guy.

"Beauty?"

"- ah, you like that, you old vanity!" Flo snaps, being talked down by her sister, who continues for her.

"With all these good things to enjoy, you can find nothing to doubt dawdle!" Laurie moves closer to Flo, putting his hands over her as Flo stared at the ring Jo had given him before she pulls her hands away quickly.

"I'll be good for you two! Saint March's, I'll be good!" Flo stares at her hands, which feels cold without Laurie's grasp on them, but she looks up to Amy when she hears her talk.

"Aren't you ashamed of a hand like that?" Amy asks, taking in his right hand.

"No, I'm not..."

"It looks like it's never done a day of work in its life. And that ring is ridiculous!"

"Jo gave me this ring..."

"When I and Meg were leaving for the ball..." Flo whispers to herself, remembering everything very vividly as if it was yesterday.

"I feel sorry for you, I really do. I just wish you'd bear it better." 

"You don't have to feel sorry for me, Amy. You'll feel the same way one day!" Laurie laughs.

"No, I'd be respected if I couldn't be loved."

"And what work have you done lately, oh great 'artiste' or have you been too busy imagining how you'll spend Fred Vaughn's fortune? Fred Vaughn, ladies, and gentlemen!" Laurie shouts out loud, making both the sisters turn towards their friends, and Amy rushes next to Fred's side, leaving Flo and Laurie alone as she apologized.

"You're being an asshole..." Flo looks at him with anger, but he shrugs and laughs.

"At least I'm not here because of my Aunt..." he joked around, making Flo sigh as Laurie grabbed her by her wrist pulling her to the couch as he forced her to sit.

"What have been doing here? Found a rich man to marry yet?"Laurie drinks some more of the liquor glass he had, forcing to hold it back while Flo snaps it away from him.

"No, I haven't!"

"Well, that's unfortunate! Is it because you're sick and no one wants a sick girl?" Flo smacks him at his arm, making him hurt as she answers.

"I'm not sick anymore!" she takes a big sip from Laurie's liquor, making him giggle.

"I'd marry you if you were sick!" he says, his eyes closed as he looked as if he were about to fall asleep.

"Get up, Laurie." the boy gets up quicky, now mad for now reason as he grabs his liquor from Flo as he walks slowly to the exit.

Flo rushes behind him, seeing her sister and Fred dance, not being mad at each other anymore.

"Why are you here?"

"Because you're sister invited me!"

"My sister invited the Laurie we used to know, not this boy whose only friends are his liquor bottles, and the one night stands he has!" she shouts after the boy, who stops after Flo calls behind him.

"Well Flo, when I came here I was expecting to see the fun Flo, the one who reminded me of Jo, but now you only remind me of an old rich lady, who's always been forgotten by her friends and family, except for me!" Laurie waves her a sarcastic goodbye, before entering his carriage, leaving Flo all alone, for the first time.