TWENTY-THREE

23. but I want to...

FLO STOOD, NOT FEELING ANYTHING AS SHE HAD BELIEVED THAT SHE was dreaming -not a good one, especially, a nightmare if she could more thought into it-, or she just wished that it was one

FLO STOOD, NOT FEELING ANYTHING AS SHE HAD BELIEVED THAT SHE was dreaming -not a good one, especially, a nightmare if she could more thought into it-, or she just wished that it was one. Amy stood a bit far away from her, clinging onto her fiancee whilst crying salt tears. Flo would've liked to fill in her empty mind by helping out her sister, letting Amy hold onto her, as any older sister would do. She had really wished she had taken the earlier ride Kate had taken all alone, because now she would be all alone -yes, Fred and Amy would be there next to her, but they'd be off to theirselves- only staring at the empty seat Aunt March would be cradling on, if she hadn't been so sick.

She blinked away her non-focused vision, as an unfamiliar carriage stopped a bit in front of them, but her once blank mind started to race when she watched Laurie step out of the black carriage carelessly, his eyes stuck on Flo only. He ushered himself next to her, but when he was a few inches apart from her, standing tall, no words came out of his open mouth. Laurie sighed and stood next to Flo, both of them not daring to face eachother.

"I couldn't let you travel alone with Aunt March being so sick: even if you despise me..." Flo could feel Laurie's pupils eyeing her, which didn't make her uncomfortable in any way, but only try to dismiss the bricks of tears building up under her lids.

"Oh, Laurie, I don't despise you..." her voice cracked, making her force open her eyes when she embraced the boy in front of her, who silently let her weep.

"She-she was the best of us..." she sobbed into his arm, not letting go until her breathing had returned back to normal.

"I'm sorry." Laurie slowly let Flo slip away from his arms, even if he didn't want to. His dismay only turned to his delight when she intertwined both their hands.

"Is your grandfa-"

"He went back to America, said he's going to continue on from there. He saw Beth as his daughter, knowing how much she reminded him of my aunt..." he nodded, drawing circles around Flo's cold hand.

"I'm sorry for declining your offer, I just-"

"You don't have to explain yourself, Flo."

"But I want to... I uh thought about it when you left, and the reasons that I gave you sounded um, made up. But I just wanted to say that even though I feel like that doesn't mean that I don't love you..." she whispered the last part, wanting to keep it alone for herself, but Laurie looked deep into her puffy eyes, seeing her green eyes speak of such truths, with a broken but beautiful soul behind it all with glistening of emotions.