A New Friend, A New Family

This was strange. We had only just gotten out of the uber car and this place was already giving me the creeps. The remote location and the silence apart from the occasional pigeon flying by was bad enough, but it was also a night event so the darkness just added to the unnatural feel to the environment. Chelsea didn't seem very fazed by it though, she was walking as if it was just as ordinary night as usual. Fortunately the off-vibe didn't last for long, once we reached the location (after about two kilometers walking) and entered the main building, the scene was in complete contrast to the outside.
The empty darkness was replaced by bright colours, the wanting to leave feeling changed to a warmer vibe, I was still a bit uncertain about what I was seeing, but it was definitely better than where we had just been. But I think the biggest difference was the surrounding volume, as outside wad just an empty void which removed any chance of sound, but inside was a compact area full of noise makers, it was just full of sound. Full of positive energy. Yes, I think that was it, the friendliness and welcoming feeling was from the insane amount of positive and open energy.
The actual event wasn't too bad, there was more to do there than I was expecting. Once we figured out where to get dinner, got it, and had started eating, one of the furries there (apparently that's what they're called) stopped by and commented about my "sweet fursuit"
Now, I had already recieved this comment quite a few times so I had to ask Chelsea what they meant. So once I knew, I had to keep telling them that it was not actually a costume but it was me. Of course, this time, during dinner, was the first shot of telling someone that.
"Thanks, but it's not actually a fursuit"
"Huh, what do you mean?"
"Like, it's part of me"
It fealt kind of weird talking to them as they had their wolf fursuit on so I couldn't actually read their expressions. Like talking to a brick wall but it actually listens and responds to what you have to say.
"Mind if I take a seat?"
"Yeah, no problem"
They sat to the side of Chelsea and I, as we were sitting at a square table and Chelsea and I were at either end. Once seated he removed the head of his turquoise costume ignoring Chelsea, with his black and thin combover hair, light olive skin, and pure dark brown eyes, looked at me straight in the eye.
"So you're saying that the only clothes you're wearing right now is the fur. Like an actual animal?"
"Well, yes, but it's mine, real fur, not like, artificial or anything"
"I see... Would you and your girlfriend mind following me?"
"Oh, uh... We just sat down for dinner-"
"James it's fine. I'm happy to go"
"Well, then I'll say yes as well"
"Great! The sooner the better! Now follow me please, I need to show you something"
Now, this conversation may have come across as a bit of a bland one, but trust me it wasn't. His joyful and welcoming attitude which I found was a common trait for every person we saw and spoke with that day definitely changed the feel of the conversation which cannot be accurately portrayed in writing. But the odd thing is, as we followed this guy, and arrived at the first door, he turned and took a quick glance around and then opened the door from us to come in. The glance seemed a little bit out of place there but it was not at all odd to what happened next.
Once he shut the door behind us his face went from the overly positive vibe to a completely serious and slightly worried and very tired look.
"Okay, now before we enter, I need to have your trust that unless something else comes up, you won't speak to anyone else about this okay?"
We didn't respond, verbally anyway. Chelsea and I just looked at each other, silently agreed, and then looked at him and nodded.
"Okay, I trust you"
When he opened the door, and as we stepped inside the room that was no bigger than a large butlers pantry, we saw something neither of us were expecting.
There, on the ground was a girl, asleep. She was about 18-22 with short brown hair. Her face was not a natural colour though, it was gray.
"Umm, what is going on exactly?"
"That's what I was hoping you'd tell me, you see. I only found her about a week ago, or, actually, it's more like she found me"
"B-but why is she here?"
"I couldn't leave her, she doesn't have a family. Poor girl thought I was her older brother, I didn't know what to do"
"Is there a reason her skin is such a strange completion though?"
"Oh, sorry. I thought you would have realized!"
At the last moment he leant down towards her, lifted a part of her hair, and gently pulled up a long gray and fluffy tube which had more of a pink inside, as he was pulling up the second one, I realised what they were. They were ears.
"She's an anthropomorphic!"
"Yes... If you're meaning like a real life furry, then yes"
"What kind though?"
"Rabbit I believe"
Well this is awkward. I do feel a bit honoured that he trusts me though, considering we only just met.
"So what do you want to know?"
"Anything you know"
"So you're saying that she thinks that you're her brother, she only appeared about a week ago, and she's a 'real life furry' rabbit?"
"Yes"
"Well then...
I then proceeded to explain my story to him, skipping anything in relation to Shell, and only telling him about my friends and family forgetting about me too.
"So you're saying... She IS my sister, that..."
"Yes"
"Thank you for clearing this up, you said something about exposing Russia, we have panels here to discus different topics in front of a wider audience, do you want to do that? I can organise it. It's the least I could do"
"Yes tha-" I quickly covered her mouth.
When I released my hand, Chelsea whispered "But James, I thought-"
"Yeah, so did I, and I will, but after experiencing this event for what it is, I don't think this is where I want to do that. Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to have to politely decline."
"No problem, surely there's something I can do? You said you originally came here for two things, curiosities sake, and possible financial support. What kind of financial support would that be?"
"No, we can't accept that!"
"Just tell me!"
"Well, we were hoping to get a bit of a better place to stay than when we are right now, and maybe enough saved to get where we want to go, where we should go"
"Why? Where are you staying currently?"
When I told him, he was shocked. He wouldn't stop pushing for us to let him help, and with the typical furry positive energy and emotion returning to his character, we eventually agreed. We probably wouldn't have if we knew where he was taking us. To his house! The furcon was a two night event, so he organized to pick us up the second night, so we could get all our stuff packed. And that's basically how Chelsea and I ended up living with Guy.