Chapter 6. The start

Oikawa was practicing more and more. Nothing could stop his practice, now that the Inter High Tournament was in sight.
His ambition grew, since he knew that he would finally be able to play against Kageyama. He wanted to be ready, ready for every surprise, every serve and every attack Karasuno had to offer.
And (Y/n) was no exception, she, too, was practicing more than ever, not wanting to lose.
Both captains were excited, as well as afraid.
Practicing was never a bad thing, yet overdoing it could become a problem.

"Fuck, Shittykawa don't overdo it, if you hurt yourself, Imma hit you!", exclaimed an angry looking Iwaizumi.

"(Y/n), I'm going to go to Iwa, don't take too long and stretch! And don't walk home alone, pay attention and stay safe!", yelled Suki, while running out of the gym, towards the ace. The girl continued practicing as an image of the handsome setter flashed through her mind, making her stop and start thinking about him.
The last weeks were pretty exciting, given that Oikawa had finally opened up to her. There were already many rumours spreading around Aoba Johsai, regarding their most popular students. When they were together, their beauty was impeccable.
And although she was thankful for getting to know the gracious Great King, she knew that there was still something off about him.
She sighed and packed up her things, checking her appearance once more, before walking towards the male gym.
He would not show all his emotions, not wanting to be a burden to anyone. And once Iwaizumi had left, Oikawa found himself worrying about losing. He was afraid, the bitter taste of losing made his heart ache.
He did not want to let his team down and he would not let his team down.
He was the Grand King after all,
but he was a captain, too.
All kinds of emotions were filling his mind, the misery he was currently in reminded him of his many insecurities and of his many fears. The fear of disappointment, he never wanted to disappoint anyone nor was he in favor of letting anyone down or burden anyone.
He would face everything alone if that meant that he was the only one suffering and as long as everyone else was happy, he would cope with the stress.
Even when it was driving him nuts, sometimes.
He stood up, serving and again serving with too much strength. As (Y/n) opened the door, he didn't notice her and she decided not to interrupt his serves. They were so strong and so precise, she watched in awe, until he landed on the wrong foot, which made him lose his balance and fall down, harshly.

"Oikawa?!", she shouted, running towards him, whereas he cursed various times. "Are you okay?", she asked, crunching down next to him and putting a hand on his strong back. His face was covered in his hair and in seconds he wiped away, the silent tears that were currently staining his face, quickly replacing them with a embarrassed smile.

"I'm okay!", was all he managed to bring out, still smiling, thinking that she didn't see his tears.

"It's okay.", she told him, a generous smile showing up on her face. "I know, how stressed you are. I know, how hard it is. I know, how much pressure you have to endure.", Oikawa's eyes widened, a warmth spread through his chest and he was surprised. How did she, a gifted, so talented player, go through the same emotions?
He did not have that gift, that's why he practiced so hard.
Although he wanted to scream at her, he found himself being calm, calmed by her presence, he was thankful for her being there.

"Thank you!", he whispered, pulling her into a warm, loving hug. She was speechless as his muscular arms wrapped around her petite body, the embrace taking her breath away and she smiled while hugging him back.

"We worry about you. Sometimes it's better to let it all out, you know?!", she felt him nod and she expected him to let it all out, as she had told him, yet the strong captain did not shed a tear again. Instead he replaced his sad expression with a fake smile once more.

"Come on, I think we should go!", he smiled, eyes closed. (Y/n) nodded, standing up and helping the handsome male stand up, as well. After he had changed his clothes and packed his bag they began walking home. It had become a habit that whenever Oikawa would walk the beauty home, he would hold her hand, his excuse being that it was to 'protect you'.
"So, do you know which team is going to be the first one you're going to play against?", he asked her.

"It was Dateko's female team, I guess.", she sighed, thinking about the strong opponents. "But I got this today, so I can study their attacks and be more prepared!", she smiled, showing him the disc she had gotten from the coaches. Oikawa's breath hitched as he stared at the disc.

"You do that too?", he asked, making her jump back at the sudden loudness of his voice. He always thought that strong players wouldn't waste their time analyzing the teams attacks as the coaches or managers would do that. He thought that they would just listen to the coaches.
And he knew that he analyzed all the videos, because he was scared, because he wanted to make sure that he knew everything.

"Iwa-chan gave me the idea, he told me that you do that, too, and I thought it was like really smart!", she laughed at his surprised expression. "Are you excited?", she asked him, changing the subject, he didn't answer right away, staring at the street.

"Yes, of course! I want to defeat that bastard Ushijima and that damn Tobio!", he told her, his voice this time calm and not that angered. The second name reminded her of that one fight they had had once. She decided not to talk about it and as they arrived at her house, she faced Oikawa.

"Don't worry so much, I know that you're going to make it and if not it's going to be okay. But thank you for walking me home, Oikawa-san!", she smiled again, pressing a small, soft kiss on his right cheek.
He felt heat rushing to his cheeks and flashing her his trademark smile, that made her heart skip a beat.

"I told you to call me Tooru! And I'll always be there to walk you home!", he smiled once again, waving while walking away.
And as Oikawa was walking home, (Y/n) couldn't concentrate on the game she should have analyzed, her mind was once again occupied by thoughts about the good looking setter.
She truly thought that he was a mystery. Always replacing his tears, his sadness, all his sorrow with fake smiles and his cheerful attitude.
Yet it seemed as if Oikawa would show more of his true colors whenever someone mentioned that one boy's name.
And she would soon get to know him, Kageyama Tobio.

But she didn't expect to meet the real Oikawa Tooru, too.