Chapter 4

Adrian

I was shocked and dumbfounded, in the middle of the woods in the middle of the night in the middle of a very confusing situation. There I was not three feet away from the resident ice queen, expecting her to tell me to go to hell, when instead she apologized to me. In that moment she looked vulnerable, helpless, nothing like her usual self. I watched in masked fascination as her icy titanium shell cracked, ever so slightly.

I didn't know what to do. I couldn't do anything but blink because I was at a loss for words. I, Adrian Black of the Black Forest Pack, was never at a loss for words. So I opened my mouth and did the only other thing besides blinking that I could do.

I laughed. Really hard.

In my defense, it really was ridiculous to think that Victoria could ever be my mate. She was so cold and isolated and always alone, and not to seem egotistical, but I had a pretty solid social life. I had tons of friends and got along with everyone well. Victoria and I were polar opposites. Plus, she was so unbelievably rude. I used to wonder if it was all just an act to seem fearless, but after two years with no change, it seemed that rudeness was synonymous with her nature.

And I told her just that, although I almost regretted it when I saw her invincible armor piece itself back together, her eyes again becoming glacial obsidian, her demeanor cold and reserved once more.

"Fine. So be it. It wasn't like I expected any more from you," she snapped back at me.

Ouch.

As she disappeared back into the woods, I couldn't keep from staring at her retreating form. There was something about her that made me feel strange. Something... the slightest touch of a feather, a wisp of the wind, a feeling perhaps. And then it was gone. All for the best, I supposed.

—-

Vote, comment, sing at the top of you lungs.

Luvs,

Liv