Chapter 6

New chapter, yayyy!!! Thanks for reading y'all.

Victoria

Chin up. Check.

Head high. Check.

Eyes blank. Check.

Ignore all eye contact. In progress.

Act like you don't have a care in the world. Check.

Ready for school? Sure.

I brushed the dark waves of my hair out of my face as I walked towards my locker. It was a new day today. It was a new day everyday, but the time passed in monotonous tones, a melodrama of my pointless life. Time was not exact, and time was not spontaneous. So even though today was a new day, it might as well have been yesterday, or last week, or last year. I don't even know.

Except, today turned out to be different.

As lunch ended, I headed to my locker to get my books for next period like I always did. I opened my locker and stuffed the necessary materials inside my bookbag. Before I could close it however, I felt a presence right behind the door. Several presences, actually. Presences with five inch heels, miniskirts five sizes too small, and make-up caked faces that were probably covered with disdain.

Sighing inwardly I shut my locker and turned toward the three bimbos. I looked at them with blatant disinterest. "Can I help you?" I asked, my voice dripping with practiced and perfected sarcasm.

Bimbo number 1, otherwise known as Kara Johnson, frowned with distaste, her caked makeup crinkling as she pursed her lips. And then she smiled.

"Oh we just wanted to share some news with you," she said, her candied smile still stuck fast to her barbie doll face. "You see, Kylie here just found out James Warner was her mate. Isn't that just the greatest thing?"

My eyebrows raised, I replied, "And this concerns me how?"

Kara gasped. "Oh, we just wanted to share the great news with everyone. You can't even trust us with just some friendly gossip?"

"No I can't. What do you want? You're wasting my time." I tapped my foot impatiently. The bell was going to ring soon and the last thing I needed was to walk into class late and draw everyone's attention. I hated attention. And now I was getting it from three of the most irritating, IQ dropping people in this school. This was the longest time I'd spend in the presence of these morons, and I needed to get out of this conversation, no, not conversation, more like a deadwood-filled exchange, and I needed to get out fast.

I started to turn away when Bimbo number 3 opened her mouth.

"We were so happy that Kylie found her mate because it was getting a little... late if you know what I mean."

Oh I knew what she meant. Female werewolves normally find their mate when they're fifteen or sixteen, which is earlier than when guys find out, which is normally at seventeen or eighteen. We were all seniors at this point, so most girls should have found their mates by now, who're normally older guys. The last group of wolves to find their mates is called the sery, a word derived from a Latin word for late. If wolves don't found their mates by the time they reach nineteen, then their mates are either dead or unrightfully claimed by another. So the older mateless wolves become, the more they worry, naturally. Kylie was part of the sery, like me. Well, I was a part of it until I found out that Adrian freaking Black was supposed to be my one and only soul mate, my other half of a whole, for eternity. I wanted to puke just thinking about our exchange in the woods. God that was embarrassing.