Part 20

When all of Mr Egerton's guests returned to the parlour, barely a moment passed before Sally leapt to her feet, pulling Mary with her.

"Now, Mary Bennet will play for us! Isn't that splendid?"

"Sally," Mary protested, already braced for a sarcastic rejoinder from the corner that held Lydia and Kitty. To her surprise, none came, for her sisters were engaged in a whispered conversation with Maria Lucas, about what she did not know and was pleased not to enquire after.

"You cannot possibly be too shy!" Sally said, not lowering her voice to much of a whisper and making Mary's reluctance even more noticeable.

"I, for one, am eager to hear Miss Mary play. She is certain to do well and entertain us all!" a cheery male voice came, and Mary glanced back to see Mr Bingley, sitting between his sister on one side and Jane on the other, beaming. Jane positively glowed at this show of support for her sister and Mary felt her nerves recede a fraction.

Biting her lip, Mary sat at the piano, shuffling through some sheet music that had been left there her to play.

"I wasn't sure what you preferred to play," Sally began. "So I chose a selection." She pouted. "Oh dear, I suppose I ought to have asked you to bring something..."

"Don't worry," Mary said, reassuring her friend with a smile. "I do not need it! I can play well enough from memory." Her smile faltered. "I hope."

"Oh, but then you will not need me to stand by and turn pages for you!" Sally sighed. "I did so hope I could be of use!"

"You may stand by, all the same," Mary said, encouragingly. "Or, here!" She shifted along her piano stool, creating some space. "You may sit next to me if you wish."

"As if we were playing a duet!" Sally grinned. "I may take half the credit for your whole genius!"

"I should resist claiming credit for anything," Mary said, grimly. "I have not yet played a note, and for all you know may not even begin to live up to your expectations."

"Nonsense!" Sally was adamant. "You have already far exceeded my expectations." She beamed at her friend and for a moment Mary forgot that they were before an audience of friends and neighbours. It was not until Caroline Bingley remarked to her sister, in a stage whisper, "I thought we were to have music?" that she suddenly came to, and applied herself to her task. Taking a deep breath, she placed her hands on the keys of the dainty cabinet piano and began.

This was a piece she knew well, a lively, complicated piece, and she took care to steady her pace as she played, so as not to allow it to run away with her. All too soon she reached the end. After a pause, a riot of applause echoed around the room, and Mary dared to glance behind her, her eyes seeking out only one gentleman.

Mr Egerton was seated beside Mr Darcy, and his applause was some of the most enthusiastic of all. Mary's spirits rose, for she had dearly wished to please him, not only on account of his generosity to them but because it might be the last opportunity she had to do something that might ease the burden of his blindness. Knowing how vital music was to her own wellbeing she could only imagine how much she would suffer were it taken from her, and it was this that helped to power her sympathy for Mr Egerton.

"Will you play another?" Sally asked.

"I do not like to presume..."

"You are not, I have asked. And as it is my house, you must surely do as I bid!" Sally laughed, rising from her seat and returning to join the rest of her guests. "Miss Mary has agreed to play another and then we shall release her from her duty. I do not suppose we have any other musicians amongst us?"

There was a delicate cough, and Sally spoke again.

"Oh, Miss Bingley! You will play next? How kind."

Mary bit down hard on her lower lip, grateful that her back was to her audience, at that moment. She was no admirer of Caroline Bingley, sensing in some way she could not put into words that Mr Bingley's sister was no admirer of hers or her family's. Mary's loyalties were swift and binding, and whilst she was only too aware of the faults of each of her sisters she would not stand to see them pointed out by others, particularly those whose own interests were at stake. No doubt Caroline disliked them on account of Mr Bingley's evident affection for Jane.

Feeling a rare flare of spite, Mary fell to playing again, selecting for her final piece something so complex and complicated that it would render whatever Miss Bingley chose to follow it a poor second indeed.