Part 26

Any argument Mr Bennet might have mounted against the family's visit to London over the next few days was swiftly routed by his wife, even before it chanced to reach the ears of his daughters.

Mary kept her own counsel, but could not resist the tiniest smile whenever her mother took a deep breath.

"Do you not wish to see my brother and sister-in-law?" Mrs Bennet's voice trembled on the verge of noisy, theatrical tears that were always guaranteed to win him to her side. "Is London so very far away that we should not consider making the journey?"

"No, dear," Mr Bennet said, patiently. "Of course I wish to see Mr and Mrs Gardiner again." He paused. "You know how well I think of them. But if they are to join us at Christmas, is it truly necessary...?"

"Necessary?" Mrs Bennet squawked. "You speak of necessity now, as if we must live so small and sparse a life that we can do nothing merely for the joy of it! If that is so, then I question the necessity of your study, Mr Bennet. Or the necessity of your cousin coming to visit us without a word of warning...!"

This had made both Mr Bennet and Mary glance towards the door of the parlour, which was not fully sealed and certainly not sound-proof. Mr Collins had gone out that morning, claiming a desire to take a last walk to Meryton and bid farewell to the place that had quickly become a home to him. He would not be joining them in London, which circumstance Mary could not be alone in rejoicing, but he had not yet been drawn on whether he planned to return immediately to Kent.

Mr Bennet let the matter drop without comment.

"Mary is eager to go to London as well, aren't you Mary?"

Mary flinched, reluctant to be drawn further into another argument between her parents. She was the only daughter present so it was only natural her mother should seek her support. In this case, too, she was not mistaken, and Mary was forced to disappoint her father.

"I am," she said softly, unable to prevent the tiniest of smiles creeping onto her face.

"You see?" Mrs Bennet cried, with a painfully fierce toss of her head. "Mary is eager to see her aunt and uncle again, if you are not!"

Mary was not quick enough to keep her expression from falling, and whilst her mother did not notice, her mistake did not escape her father's canny eyes.

"Indeed." He harrumphed. "And I am sure that her aunt and uncle are the only people Mary cares to see in London."

Heat rushed into Mary's cheeks and she buried her head in her book, praying that Mama would not choose this moment to become observant. She was spared by the opening of the parlour door and the entrance of Jane.

"Jane! Come and support me!" Mrs Bennet reached for her as if for a life-line. "Your father suggests we ought not wish to go to London!"

"I did not say that -" Mr Bennet began.

"Oh, Papa!"

Mr Bennet abandoned all hope of ever standing against not only his wife but two of his five daughters, and the two he least cared to argue with, at that.

"Very well, I resign my opposition absolutely!" he said, holding up his hands against any further backlash. "I shall leave you to make arrangements amongst yourselves and seek refuge in my study." He paused as he passed Mary, looking at her with reproach. "I see even you have chosen to side with your mother, Mary, and I must say I am disappointed to lose you!"

Mary blanched, wondering at his words, when he softened, reaching out and laying a weathered hand against her cheek. He glanced over his shoulder to reassure himself that his wife and Jane were occupied in one another and would not overhear him.

"I dare say you shall be very happy, though, and so I shall permit whatever you choose."

He winked, and Mary felt certain that he was not only talking of her switching allegiance on the matter of London but on a certain future path that she could only dream of seeing.

"Yes, Papa," she murmured, smiling as he bade them farewell and retreated to his study.

"Well, girls!" All traces of tears were gone from Mrs Bennet's face and she wore a radiant smile that made her look far younger than her years. "What a delightful time we shall spend together in London! We shall be in quite close quarters, staying at Gracechurch Street, but I am sure we shall be so often out of doors, attending galleries and museums and assemblies that we shall not mind it." She beamed at Jane. "And just think, before long we might return with glad tidings and happy news!"

"Mama..." Jane's voice rang with warning but her smile did not slip.

"You cannot deny, Jane, that Mr Bingley was quite eager for you to be in London, if he must. It is a good sign, I dare say." She frowned. "And Mr Darcy too, although I cannot imagine why he should care to insist on our going. Well, no matter. I am sure we shall have a merry time in London, particularly if we are there in the presence of such charming, agreeable friends!"

Mary nodded, thinking of one group of friends in particular and wondering how long it would be before she saw Mr Egerton and his sisters again.