Chapter 13

The whole family is now sitting in the library. Linda and Richard are sitting in the middle, Joni and Meg sitting on one side, and Walt, Donna, and Jacob on the other. You and Ransom sit off to the side since neither of you were a part of the will. Blanc, Marta, Lieutenant, and Trooper are in the back of the room. You sit on the arm of Ransom's chair and he wraps his arm around you and pulls you down on his lap. You smile at him and he kisses your cheek. You feel someone staring intensely at you two. You look over to see your father staring at you with his arms crossed. (Stalker😂) You look away and listen to the lawyer.

 "Well, thank you all for getting together like this, it isn't legally necessary, but I thought you're all in town and some of you are leaving soon..." Blanc cut him off. "Excuse me sorry. Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to gently request that you all stay in town until the investigation is over." "He's gently requesting but we gotta make that an order. No one moves until we figure this all out." Lieutenant says. "What?" Linda snaps. "Can we ask why?" "No." Blanc says. "Has something changed?" "No, we can't ask or no nothings changed." Blanc ignores her." Mr. Stevens please continue."" Right, well the other reason why I thought this gathering would be beneficial is because Harlan altered his will a week before he died."

 You see Linda and Richard look at you and Ransom with disappointment. You look at Ransom and see that he can't make eye contact with his parents and plays with some chess pieces. "So, if anyone is confused about anything, we're all together, we can talk. Although, I don't think any of this is going to be complicated. Harlan's assets include the house, sixty million in various cash accounts and investments, and of course the real asset, soul ownership of Blood Like Wine, his publishing company. He also wrote up a statement when he was making the changes and he wanted that read first."" The lawyer took the letter his assistant gave him and started reading it as you played with Ransom's hair which he didn't mind.

 "Dearest Linda, Walter, and Joni, some of you may be surprised by the choice I've made here. No pleasure was taken in the exclusion, and its purpose was not to sow greater discard in the family, quite the opposite. Please accept it with grace and without bitterness, but do accept it. It's for the best, Dad." The lawyer's assistant then hands him a different envelope and he opens it. You could tell that everyone was super tense.

 The lawyer then pulls out only one piece of paper. "I Harlan Thrombey, being of sound body and mind, yada yada.... I hereby direct that all my assets both liquid and otherwise, I leave in their entirety to Martha Cabrera." Everyone was silent and shocked by his words. You look at Marta and she looks at you also shocked. "My entire ownership of Blood Like Wine publishing, I leave in its entirety to Marta Cabrera." 

You see a grin grow on Ransom's face as everyone turns to look at Marta. Walt stands up along with you, Linda, and Richard. "No that's not... no, that can't be. Can I see that please, Alan." Walt takes the paper out of his hand and reads it. "This can't be legal." Linda says frustrated. Ransom starts to laugh, stands up, and walks out of the room while everyone else panics. You try to go after him, but your frozen to your spot. Everyone keeps yelling at each other and Allan.

"Alan, you take this piece of paper and shove it right up your ass and get out!" Linda shouts "And you cops too. Out! Out!" Trooper starts walking out but Lieutenant stops him. "Linda..." "No,Richard, we need to talk, we need to fight this thing. We're not going anywhere. I said get out! We are the Thrombeys. This is still our house!" Then everyone freezes and turns to look at Alan the lawyer. 

"Likewise the house at 2 Dearborn Drive and all belongings therein, I leave to Marta Cabrera." They all gasp. "Aw, you little bitch. You little bitch!" You and your father move in front of Marta to protect her, but everyone kept yelling at her. "Did you know about this?" "Were you in this from the beginning?" "Were you boinking my father?" You try not to laugh at what Kinda said. "I think everyone just needs to cool..." Blanc tried to calm everyone down and they just ignored him. 

Blanc turns to you and Marta. "In the meantime, I'd maybe run. (Y/N) go with her." You nod your head and you two turn to get out of the house. Joni is the first one to come out tries to talk to Marta as everyone else comes out yelling at her. They all push you aside as Marta goes to her car. You see Jacob live streaming the whole thing and you roll your eyes as you go and try to help Marta. She gets in her car , but it's not starting. Just then Ransom pulls up in the Beemer and gestures for Marta to get in. 

She hesitates, but jumps in with him. They then drove off as Ransom laughs at everyone. "Great, there goes my ride." You say to yourself as you watch Ransom drive off. Blanc comes up next to you, "Do you need me to give you a ride?" He asks. You look at Marta's car . "Nah, I'm good. I gotta go after him." You hope in Marta's car and start it up.

 As you leave, Blanc watches you drive away, he sighs feeling conflicted. He could see that you clearly were in love with Ransom and that he loves you back, but on the other hand, he has suspicions about ransom everyone here is a suspect, but could he really hurt you like that? His own daughter that he just got back?