twenty two

─────── • ❥ • ───────

It was so damn awkward.

It was as though everywhere Mark went, Donghyuck happened to be there as well. There weren't an infinite amount of rooms within the school, that was a given.....yet there were enough to avoid each other with.

All while this sort of 'game' was playing out, Mark was left wondering whether Hyuck had really heard them that night. The younger wasn't saying anything, and it wasn't as though the ravenette was giving him much of a chance to either.

I wonder if I can read his eyes, the male thought childishly, walking around Donghyuck in the student kitchen one afternoon at lunchtime. The brunette was stirring a cup of coffee with his back to the other, clearly ignoring his irritating presence.

Meanwhile, Mark was trying to get a closer look at his face, trying his best to figure out whether the boy possessed the knowledge of his own somnambulism, or was just being a moody cow....

"Stop checking me out, Sissyboy," Donghyuck hummed lowly, eyes still trained down on his mug.

Ah, it's been a while since I've heard that nickname.... "Who would check you out? Huh?"

"I'll have you know that boys have confessed to me in the past." He then tilted his head slightly to pick up Mark's reflection from behind, in the dark liquid. "At least they didn't force me into anything."

That was a low blow. Quite literally, a metaphorical kick to the stomach. It was enough of a statement to keep the older suspecting him of knowing, yet there wasn't any solid proof yet. He couldn't just start blurting out random apologies or accidentally let the cat out of the bag, when really the teen could've just been moping over something stupid all along.

"Mmm. Boys can be tricky...." he settled with, moving away to lean against the island situated in the centre of the room. Even with the old fashioned walls and aged kitchenware, the school had managed to create a safe environment for budding home economic students who enjoyed the cookery hobbies.

"How would you know?" The younger uttered darkly, finally spinning around to look at him. "What? You've had a boyfriend before or something.....?"

No, the dark haired male had not quite achieved that intimacy with another male yet......though it wasn't as though he wasn't good enough. A confession wasn't enough to make him fall in love and say 'yes' on the spot. "None of your business...."

"Oh dear, getting defensive, are we?" Donghyuck taunted, a small smirk starting to appear. "So I guess that's why you do it."

"What?"

"Never mind."

"No! Stop acting like such a dick and talk to me!"

Though it was all a fruitless effort. Fighting Lee Donghyuck was equivalent to arguing with a solid brick wall. The outcome was inevitable, which was his opposer's loss.

"I refuse to talk to trash like you." That was end of the brutal conversation before the brunette stormed out with his drink in hand, leaving Mark absolutely baffled.

It appeared that every step he took was the wrong one. Perhaps he was approaching this from the wrong angle.....yet this teenager was a renowned pain in the ass.

"Ugh, I want to go home...." he whined, collapsing down into a rickety seat and throwing his head back. Where am I going wrong?

☆★☆

Another two days passed, which meant another forty eight hours had been eaten away. Renjun would surely have throttled Mark for leaving the problem unsolved.

"I'm using the the bathroom," he mumbled, sliding out of bed to walk towards the door. With the other six roommates missing, everything seemed so empty....

"No, I need to use it," Donghyuck hissed, getting up and throwing the phone he was enamoured with, down.

"I literally asked first."

"Well I asked second."

"Wh-S-Huh? You aren't seriously fighting me with that lousy excuse, are you? I mean, c'mon...."

"I'm going in now," he huffed whilst pushing past the other and trying to jog to the small door tucked away in the far corner. Mark was no pushover though, and knew how to fight when necessary.

"Stop! You're only doing this to be a brat!" He yanked the t-shirt hanging loosely against Donghyuck's frame, exposing the fading marks that littered his upper body.

Their eyes scanned over the source of all these problems, then resettled on each other. "Let go of me."

"Hyuck...."

"I mean it, Mark! Let go of me or I won't hesitate to tackle you."

The ravenette's heart was absolutely pounding against his chest, almost smashing the ribs encaging it. This was his chance, wasn't it? "You know where those come from....right?"

As if astounded by his sheer stupidity, the younger yanked his hand off and threw it down. "Of course I know, you asshole! Next time you want to have a cute chat with your senior boyfriend, choose a different goddamn room!"

Only mere minutes were wasted as Donghyuck left the whole bedroom entirely, skipping the bathroom since it wasn't as though there was anyone around to dress up for. Mark felt sick to his stomach, nauseated by his own past behaviour.

He really does know, he confirmed, sitting back down on a mattress to regain composure. All this time, he's been losing sleep so that he won't move. He probably hates my guts for this.

Yet if the younger could've only been made aware of the wreckage he too was responsible for. The cat like scratches decorating the older's back, or perhaps the pain he left behind in Mark's heart by slamming it to the ground time after time.

Both were fools, and to settle their differences, they were going to have to notice one another's mistakes.

─────── • ❥ • ───────