10| rego

10| rego

ask, implore

It's Noah's second last day in North Carolina, and his head is in Nadine's lap. His heart still hammers when she's around and it feels like as much time as he spends with her, he's still completely excited to have her around.

Nadine is reserved which makes it harder to know her but Noah likes knowing her. He likes knowing the name of Nadine's cat, Madam Purr. He likes being able to hold her hand and kiss her and have her laugh at him. They still haven't done it, but Noah's not in any rush.

He wants to go slow with her, and cherish every moment every little thing they've done together.

"So, you never dated Clover?" Nadine asks again, voice light but always seeking assurances from Noah. It started innocently enough with Clover, learning that he's still in contact with her, in the same office as her.

Then it stopped till Clover called him regarding the Dawn Foster case he picked up and left for her since it hadn't been resolved. Noah's not annoyed by it, instead it makes his heart beat faster because he feels reassured that she's just as worried of losing him as he is of losing her.

"We're just best friends," Noah said, eyes meeting Nadine's green-brown ones. He reached out to touch her face, "and co-workers."

She relaxes at this, and her fingers run through his hair. "Must you go back?" she asks him. It's the first time she's asked him this.

Noah's heart warms like chocolate on a sunny day, "I'll come back as fast as I can."

Nadine smiles at this. Her eyes deep in thought, "Noah, I know this sounds a bit strange, but can you try to find my cat?"

Noah sits up, almost colliding with Nadine as he does, "what?"

"You know, the competition?"

"Why?" Noah's voice is scratchy, a little startled.

"I didn't ask for the competition, my parents did." Nadine begins, "It's a test from them for whoever, I have little say in it."

"So you're telling me that during the span we've been spending time together that if someone had caught Madam Purr, you'd have to marry him?" As hard as Noah tries, he can't keep the edge of hurt away from his voice.

"Yes," Nadine says, "but no one can catch her."

"Then, how can I catch her?" Noah asks.

"You can," Nadine insists without explanation.

"Does this mean we'll have to get married?" Noah asks.

"Not immediately," Nadine replies.

Noah groans. His back faces hers. "I don't know Nadine."

And he doesn't. It's a lie if he says he's not interested in Nadine, because he is. He likes making her laugh, he loves the easy air between them unburdened with any painful history but soft memories of each other so delicately held through the ages.

She's beautiful, both on the inside and out, but that doesn't mean she isn't without flaws. Her whole life is public, when and if he does choose to really be a part of her life he can say goodbye to his privacy, since the news incident the followers have sky-rocketed and she's now boasting 8 million followers on her Instagram.

Her career, is essentially, her in the limelight.

And then, there's the impulsiveness she has, the constant shifting in plans that both excites Noah but does drive him a little nuts at times.

And she's afraid of dogs, something they haven't even had time to address yet.

They're running out of time and this competition frightened Noah now. Earlier, it was almost background noise but now he's going to leave, it's going to linger day in and out of his thoughts.

How can he have a relationship with someone who's going to be in the limelight?

"I know it's a lot to ask for, but we don't have to get married immediately. We can still date and get to know each other -"

Noah stands up, his hands are shaking. "I'll think about it, Nadine."

"Where are you going?" He hears the bells on her anklets sing as she stands up too.

"Home, I just need some space."

Nadine doesn't want him to go, but she wraps her arms around herself and nods, "okay."

So, Noah heads back to his home.

AN

OOOO!!! Does this mean Noah's going to try at the competition or is Nadine going to call the competition off?

Let me know what you think, next update is after 4 votes!

Cheers,
X, Pain.