5

"THANK YOU FOR JOINING ME." Uzume whispered, painfully aware of the warm body next to her. The two kids laid in the middle of the garden, staring up at the stars. Zuko turned his head to stare at her admiring the night, awed at how someone could be so beautiful.

   "Of course, I didn't want you to be left alone." Zuko responded in a soft voice. He reached his hand across the soft grass and found Uzume's, softly holding onto her hand. She turned her head and met his eyes and smiled softly at him.

    "Don't tell Azula, but I think you're my favorite." She softly spoke, scared that if she talked any louder Azula would somehow hear. Zuko blushed and gave her a tiny grin, "Really?" He smiled wider when Uzume nodded her head.

     "Well, out of all Azula's friends, you're my favorite. Maybe even my favorite person."

        Uzume let out a giggle, "Don't lie. Your mom is your favorite." Zuko let out a little nuh-uh as he sat up. He looked down at the girl still laying down and slowly leaned down towards her lips.

      "Sure, I love my mom, but I think I lo-"

     "What are you guys doing out here? Father won't be happy about you breaking curfew." Azula's voice cut in. Uzume sat up, looking guilty towards her friend. Zuko stood quickly from Uzume, as if he'd been caught doing something bad.

      "Well, what are you doing up?" Zuko asked, arms crossed as he glared at his little sister. Azula smirked at his anger, happy to get a reaction from him. She looked at her nails, uninterested, "Uzume wasn't in bed when I woke up. Don't you know this is my sleepover and she's my guest, not yours. It's rude to interrupt." Azula sneered. Uzume looked down at her lap, knowing she shouldn't have tried to sneak away the second Azula started snoring to visit her crush. Zuko looked down at Uzume and then back at Azula, letting out a frustrated growl as he stomped back to his room.

    Azula looked at Uzume with a cold glare, angered at the thought that another person in her life would start to like Zuko more than her, "Why were you out here with him?"

   Uzume flinched and looked into Azula's eyes like an injured puppy, "Azula, I'm sorry-"

      "Do you like him?" Azula spoke in her emotionless voice. Uzume nodded slowly and opened her mouth to explain herself. "Well he doesn't like you, so don't even try." Azula harshly shouted, causing Uzume to cower into herself, "He doesn't like you! I'm the only one who likes you!" Azula screamed, tears gathering in her eyes. Azula's usually neat hair was messy and her clothes were wrinkled. Uzume started sobbing as she got up from where she sat, "That's not true! Mai and Ty Lee-"

      "Hate you!" Azula shrieked. Uzume choked on her tears and stressfully pulled at her hair. Azula's eyes softened and she took a deep breath. Azula smoothed out her night clothes and fixed her messy hair as she gathered her composure.

      "Let's go back to sleep." Azula whispered as she slowly approached the other girl. She lifted her hand and brought it to Uzume's cheek, satisfied when the girl didn't protest.

-

       "Look Bosco, the Kyoshi Warriors are here to protect us. Aren't you excited?" The Earth King, a tall skinny man dressed in green spoke excitedly as he tugged at his bears cheeks. His happy tone then turned serious when he spoke again, "It's been a difficult week for me. My most trusted advisor, Long Feng, and his Dai Li agents tried to take control of Ba Sing Se from me." He spoke to the four girls kneeling before him in Kyoshi makeup.

     "It's terrible when you can't trust the people who are closest to you." Azula smoothly spoke. Unbeknownst her, her three friends kneeling behind her looked at each other uncertain.

        The Earth King stroked his bear's head, "But there is good news. As we speak, the Council of Five is meeting to plan an invasion of The Fire Nation this summer. On the day of a solar eclipse." He exclaimed from his throne. Uzume winced slightly to herself. The Earth king had just revealed the plan to invade the Fire Nation to the Fire Nation princess.

       "Really? Now that sounds like a fascinating and brilliant plan." Azula feigned enthusiasm.

       "Of Course! I'm so glad your friend is feeling better," He motions to Uzume, "Why don't you guys get some rest?" The Earth King said, excusing the group of 4 to their rooms.

-

        Three girls sat in front of 3 mirrors, removing their makeup. Azula, already bare faced, paced behind them.

     "We have been presented with an extraordinary opportunity, girls." Azula said.

     "Mai finally gets to wear makeup that's not totally depressing?" Ty Lee teased.

     "Ha. Ha." Mai deadpanned, causing Uzume to look at the girl with smudged black circles around her eyes. Uzume busted out laughing at the girl, causing Mai to shove her out of her seat.

      Azula ignored her friends laughing and teasing each other as she walked towards the window, "I'm talking about conquering the whole Earth Kingdom. For a hundred years the fire nation has hammered away at Ba Sing Se from the outside. But now we are on the inside, and we can take it by ourselves."

     Ty Lee admired their leader, "Gosh, you're so confident. I really admire that about you." Uzume let out a snort as she stood from the floor, bitter that her friend thought so highly of Azula. Normally, Uzume would be saying what Ty Lee was saying but being outside the Fire Nation for the first time in her life made her question things. Being apart of the battle was different, she had witnessed how gloomy Omashu was under the Fire Nation. She witnessed her friends attack warriors trying to protect an animal. She witnessed how nice the Avatar and his friends were. She now didn't feel good in protecting Azula, something she had done her whole life.

    "From the inside we're in the perfect position to organize a coup and overthrow the Earth King. The key is the Dai Li. Whoever controls the Dai Li, controls Ba Sing Se." Azula turned towards her group, "Girls, I have a plan."

        "I'm still feeling weak from my head injury." Uzume said after Azula explained how Mai and Ty Lee would 'expose' that they're Fire Nation to the Dai Li. Azula mumbled a whatever as the 3 girls left the room, leaving Uzume alone to gather her thoughts.

     Uzume knew she was going to leave, that's for sure.

      She had enough with Azula. All of Azula. Her harsh words, her manipulation, her lies. Uzume was done. She hadn't composed much of a plan, just that she'd pack and find the Avatar since he was in Ba Sing Se. She would plead to join them, she would do anything if it meant Azula couldn't bring her down anymore.

    Azula lied, She thought to herself as she packed hastily. Azula went out of her way to injure Uzume and lie about it. Azula-

    "What are you doing?"

    Azula stood in the doorway.