11

THERE HAD BEEN FOUR TIMES UZUME HAD REALLY SPOKEN TO IROH. The first was when she first met Zuko. The second was when Uzume scraped her knee and he made her tea. The third was after Zuko got his scar.

The fourth was now.

Uzume sat in front of his cell, watching the man eat the food she brought with sympathy in her eyes. She reached into the basket she brought with her and pulled out the Ginseng tea she had also made to give to the man.

"I'm leaving to find the Avatar and help him." Uzume whispered to Iroh as he drank his tea. Iroh lowered the cup from his lips and gave her a fatherly smile.

"I am glad you are doing what Zuko isn't. It's a shame you have to do it though." Uzume shook her head.

"That's actually a part of why I'm here. Zuko is beginning to realize his mistake. I was wondering if you had any advice on what I should do or say to him before I go. You know, to help him make a choice."

Iroh indeed did have something to help her. He asked her to deliver a scroll to Zuko, one saying to look into Sozin's past.

Now, Uzume stood in front of Zuko's elegant door, gripping the scroll in her hand. Her heart broke as she thought about how this was the last thing she'd do in the palace. She had already written notes, one for Azula, for Ty Lee, and for Mai. So all she had to do was hope Zuko followed the scroll and talked to Iroh so that he could deliver her message. Uzume placed the scroll down gently and began to run.

Just as she rounded the corner, she heard Zuko open his door. She felt her heart thump as the realization that she was leaving finally set in.

She pulled up her black hood to cover her hair and her cloak covered her signature outfit. She carried a bag of coins and her fans, fearing if she brought too much then she'd be caught.

-

A day passed and Uzume was already far from the palace. She had found a small town bustling with activity, so she decided to take a break and find food and new clothes.

She stood in a small shop filled with clothes. She was in the middle of admiring a headband when a female guard approached her. The guard gave her a nice smile and Uzume though that'd be all, until the guard spoke to her.

"You from around here?" The lady asked Uzume. Uzume looked at the other girl with wide eyes since she was in fact, not from around here. Her hood fell off her head without her noticing as she tried to think of a reply.

Uzume awkwardly shook her head, "Nope, just passing through." The guard narrowed her eyes at Uzume and her friendly smile fell.

"You know, Princess Azula isn't very happy that you've decided to just 'pass through' towns."

So, to say Uzume was pretty pissed off sitting in a wooden cell is an understatement.

She made it a singular day before she was found and now she'd have to return and probably die at the hands of Ozai.

Uzume and the female guard had a glare-off through the bars until another guard ran into the station.

"There's a chase for the runaway! We need back up."

Both guards ran out the station, leaving Uzume to wonder who the runaway was.

She didn't have to wonder long because the next thing she knew, the Avatar's blind friend was being thrown in with her. Uzume felt herself jump with excitement since seeing this little girl was a sign Aang was nearby. She recalled when she was in the catacombs with him and Katara and Katara mentioned a Toph, so she figured that's who she was looking at.