♧ [V1 || Chapter 19] ♧

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

Do you know the feeling of viewing a picture vs. witnessing a beautiful scenery? If you do, then you know that there's no comparing something on paper to experiencing it for yourself.

That's exactly how I felt as I watched Sylvia change from her spirit form to her weapon form as she disappeared into a pink burst of light. Luca stretched out his right hand, a long wooden vine wrapped itself around his arm. On his middle finger appeared a ring with a blue gem similar to the colour of Sylvia's eyes.

"Come forth and show your power, my divine spirit," he muttered softly.

"ARGHHHH! W—WHAT IS THIS?"

It happened so fast. The branches around the room had grown longer and crept stealthily closer towards the three men. Latching onto their ankles, they were lifted up as if they didn't weigh any heavier than a bag of feathers.

"Something grabbed me! Cut it off, fools!" the leader shouted in a frenzy.

"I—I can't, boss! I don't know what's holding us but, I can't seem to cut it!" the praying mantis guy had taken out the sword from his waist and started flailing his arms around. The blade managed to hit the surface of the vines, but as soon as it made contact with it, it broke cleanly into two.

SHING! The broken blade fell onto the floor.

"N—no way!"

The vines shook slightly, and with an easy flick, threw them out of the shop.

"I KNEW IT WAS HAUNTED!"

"RUN, RUN!"

"I—Idiots! Don't leave me!"

A few onlookers who heard their crazed screaming gave them a strange expression as they scrambled to their feet and ran away.

I gaped at what just happened, surprised at the strength displayed by Luca. The vines he had produced were not normal vines—they were hard enough to withstand the blow from a steel blade, and also easily incapacitated three men in less than 5 minutes. I'm sure he must have trained really hard in controlling his mana to get to this point.

It made me even more curious as to why he retired from being a mage despite being this talented.

"Haah... Sylvia, look! They dropped their bottle! Now this place smells like booze," Luca frowned. He rubbed the back of his head with frustration.

Oh! I didn't even notice that Sylvia had changed back into her spirit/human form.

"Then clean it up, stupid!" she kicked him. I was starting to feel pity for him. Are all divine spirits this mean to their contract owners? I gave him a look of sympathy, understanding the pain in dealing with difficult divine spirits, though he just responded with a confused smile.

"Anyways, that was incred—"

"AMAZING! SUPER AMAZING!" Marise chattered excitedly, not even realizing that she had cut off my sentence. Even Sir Klein had a little twinkle of admiration in his eyes... just a little though.

We chatted a bit about what had happened until I felt my bag stirring slightly. Oops! I'd almost forgotten that we were in town to buy Nova's bamboo seeds (again!). Signaling to Marise and Sir Klein that Nova was going to wake up from his nap soon, I quickly wrapped up our conversation.

"Come back again sometime! We hardly ever have customers so, it'll be nice if you guys could visit us, even if it's not to buy anything," Sylvia blushed, waving her hands from behind the counter. Luca nodded in agreement and echoed the same words.