Chapter 3: "Fake" Friends

A/N: Hope you guys like it. 

_-_-_-_-_-_-_

It's been one week since Alex arrived, and Friday loomed over their heads. Alex was absent from their table yet again. John was friendly as always, especially to Alex, but his patience was wearing thin. Sure, Alex was happy to see him every day, but he wanted more. He wasn't even sure they were friends, were they just classmates? Endgame to John was friends, then dating, then... Well, that was too far ahead in his mind. He just wanted to be friends. He decided to get the ball rolling, but a little force might be involved along the way. So when the bell rang for lunch, John pulled Alex's arm and they went to the back of the classroom to talk. Peggy of course knew of his plan, she was there when he came up with it. All she had to do was act naturally and stay out of the classroom.

"Alex, why don't you sit with us at lunch?" John asked, desperately wanting a good answer. He didn't want to ruin a new friendship. He really liked Alex, as more than a friend. Friends first, he thought.

"I- I- Just don't want to?" He said, as more of a question rather than a response. Now it was panic mode, sirens going off in his head, and he was running out of options. Tell him the truth or lie to keep him away?

"You and I both know that's not the truth. Please just tell me," John pleaded, he only wanted to get to know this guy.

"Fine. Do you really want to know? It's because I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to mess this up and you hate me. I'm doing this to protect you from me." He rambled on, tears starting to grow in his eyes. Now he's never going to like me, Alex thought, because I'm a monster. John was shocked. How on earth could Alex think this? What happened in his life to think so low of himself? "Just leave me alone. It's for the best." Alex said, turning to walk out the door when John caught his arm. Alex turned back around to look into John's eyes. So full of pain, pain that he had caused. He hated this. What if he wasn't keeping him safe, what if he was just breaking his heart?

"Alex, I'm not leaving you. Not ever." Alex had a tear slip down his face, and John gently wiped it away with his thumb. Alex's heart was breaking, just like John's.

"Promise?" Alex whimpered.

"I promise," He whispered. "Now will you finally come to lunch with us?" John smiled, less happy than the usual ones. He just wanted him.

"Okay," Alex said. And right then and there, he made John's day.

"Then let's get going. We only have ten more minutes left of lunch!" John said, grabbing his hand and running towards the door. Alex stopped just before they got there. He looked down at their hands intertwined and started blushing. He quickly let go.

"Uh, John? We were holding hands, wouldn't Peggy be mad?" Alex questioned, raising an eyebrow and looking at the other boy skeptically.

"Oh yeah..." John gave an awkward chuckle and turned away. They quickly walked out the door to meet Peggy. Peggy just smiled at the two and started walking towards the cafeteria.

"So, Alex, are you finally coming to lunch with us today?" She said, playfully nudging his shoulder. Peggy's eyes darted to John, and they both started holding hands. It hurt Alex to see this, but he kept a straight face anyway. It hurt. Maybe he just needed to move on, because John and Peggy were happy. Something Alex never was.

Once they got to the lunchroom, Alex's senses were completely overwhelmed, another reason he didn't want to come. John asked Alex if he was ok because he clearly was suffering, and Alex replied that he was fine. Great job, Alex, you're ruining your chance at this, Alex only rolled his eyes at the self-doubt plaguing his mind. The three headed towards their table, where they met an extremely happy Hercules and Lafayette. Hercules and Lafayette had matching grey hoodies on and jeans.

"Ah, is this the Alexander John has been talking so much about!" He exclaimed, his voice louder than normal. No one noticed though.

"I'm Lafayette or just Laf for short, and this is my boyfriend-" Laf was cut off, by an extremely loud yell coming from his boyfriend.

"HERCULES MULLIGAN!" Herc screamed, and that caught everyone's attention because he only yelled his name like that when a new kid came around. Many people facepalmed.

"Mon amour, we talked about yelling, remember?" Lafayette rubbed circles on his boyfriends back. Hercules gave an apology to Alex for yelling. "Sorry about that Alex, but he only yells when he meets new people. I guess he gets excited," Laf chuckled, pulling Herc into a hug.

"I do get excited. Sorry again, Alex." He was so upset with himself for yelling again.

"Hey, it's okay! No need to get upset. I've been yelled at enough times in my life that I've just gotten used to it." Alex said as if this was normal. The table quieted and the others looked at each other, worried. "What?" He said, a ball of anxiety building in his brain.

"Alex, no one should be yelled at a lot. It's just not right. What happened in your life that made you get used to it?" Laf said, concerned for his new friend. Alex only looked back down at his food again and pushed a carrot back and forth. He paused again and debated telling them the truth. He looked at Laf in the eyes and he could tell that he cared.

"I'd rather not say."

"Well, when you're ready, you can tell us. We're your friends." Peggy said, suddenly joining the conversation. He looked at the other four teens in shock. Did she really mean that?

"We're... Friends?" Alex cocked his head to the side a bit. He was confused. He didn't understand. Why on earth did they want to be friends with him of all people? There were plenty of other people in the school, so why did they choose him? They were probably playing the pity card on him again, just trying to make him feel comfortable, then leave. everyone has left him, so why should this be any different?

"Of course we're your friends! Why would you think that we're not?" John asked, scooting his chair closer to Alex. Goddammit, John cared so much about him. Why couldn't he see it? Why couldn't he see that they all cared?

"I, uh, I've never had friends before. Much less a group of friends," He said, his voice a little higher than a whisper. Why were they playing this act? Why were they trying to hurt him again? "You guys can stop. I get it, and I don't want your pity. You don't have to pretend to be my friends anymore." Alex pushed his chair back and started to stand up. He was done with them. This is what he deserved; he was such a terrible person and people "caring" about him were just trying to make him feel better. He was tired. So very tired. Tired of telling people he was fine, tired of people faking kindness, tired of being alive.

"Alex, we're not pretending, okay? We care about you." Another lie. "I... I care about you." John said. Alex slowly sat back down. Maybe... John wasn't lying. Maybe he was telling the truth.

"I'm s-sorry for making you all so upset. I just... I haven't experienced affection or anyone caring about me since I was twelve years old. And that was from my mother," He rambled. He was going to overshare and he knew it. "But she died. And no-one has cared about me since then."

"I'm sorry Alex. We didn't know," Peggy stated. Alex wiped a small tear away with his sleeve as John pulled him into a side hug. Alex tilted his head onto John's shoulder but quickly removed it because Peggy was watching. He didn't want to ruin that.

"We're here for you, okay? Never forget it." John pulled away from the hug and grabbed a small scratch sheet of paper and scribbled something on it. He passed the note to Alex. "This is my phone number, and if you send me a text I can add you to our group chat. You won't be so alone then." John blushed a little and smiled again. That big smile Alex loved, the one that was real. The one where you could see his freckles and make constellations out of them. The one that made him happy. But it also made him sad, because he would never be the one to make him as happy as Peggy did.

The bell rang, signaling lunch was over.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_

A/N: I was exhausted making this. I was relying on black coffee for this, and every sip I take it makes me more awake. (Alliteration, bitches) I hope you liked it because I worked very hard on it. You know what this means, I'm going to get started on the next chapter soon! Maybe even tonight! Actually, right now. 

Published: 6/02-2020 (Wow good job me two chapters published in one day!)

Word total: 1,491