Chapter 8: Hospital Time

Peggy and Alex stopped next to a very expensive car, with a tall woman standing next to it. She had curly brown hair with half up and beautiful brown skin. She had a light pink sweater and black ripped jeans with black combat boots. "Angelica Schuyler, or, you can call me Angie. Let's go see your friend." She said, appearing to be a no-nonsense person. They all got in and put their seatbelts on. "Hey, kid in the sweatshirt, who are you?" She asked, starting the car and putting it in drive.

"I'm Alexan- Woah!" They shot forward at a speed that should not be able to reach from a complete stop. Angelica sped out of the student parking lot and onto the nearest street that would take them to the hospital.

"Jesus fucking Christ, Angelica! What the hell was that?" Peggy screamed at her older sister.

"What did you say? I can't hear you," Angelica said, putting the radio near max volume. Yeah, Angelica was indeed a badass. Peggy huffed and crossed her arms, burrowing into her seat. Her eyes started to water.

"Alex, what if... What if John can't recover from this? What if it's just like last time when he broke his arm because of it, and-" Peggy started to hyperventilate, and started to have a panic attack. Angelica quickly went into the glove compartment to fish out some pills to help calm her down. Alex rubbed her back because he had no idea what to do.

"Umm... you're doing great, I, uh, shit, what should I do?" He rambled on. He had never seen anyone have a panic attack before, so could you really blame him? He had seen people have them on tv and in movies, but it wasn't compared to real-life ones. "What do you need?"

Peggy held out her arms and draped her arms over his shoulders. She held on for dear life like he was a flotation device in the middle of the ocean. Alex hugged back with a reasonable amount of strength, he didn't want to hurt her. Angelica pulled into the parking garage and miraculously found a parking spot. Everyone unbuckled and went towards the doors to the hospital. "Shit. We forgot 'Liza." Angelica said, throwing her head back in utter disappointment. "I'm going to go back to school, but I'll see you inside." After that, they calmly walked towards the front desk (after being yelled at)

"Excuse me, ma'am, do you have the room number for John Laurens?" Peggy asked quickly.

"Of course. Are any of you related or his significant other?" The old lady behind the desk asked, lowering her glasses farther down her nose.

"I'm his g-girlfriend," Peggy stated, wanting to get this over with. And Alex could sense it.

"Sounds lovely. He's in room 1782, down the hall and the first right." The two said their thank you's and went on their way.

Just before walking in, they stopped in front of the door to hug each other. They didn't know what to expect. When Alex pushed the door in he saw him. Covered in bruises and bloody bandages all over his body. He had a massive black eye, one that would probably take weeks to heal. They saw him sitting up, talking to someone on the other side of the curtain, as he apparently had a shared hospital room. John looked forwards and saw Peggy with her hands over her mouth, tears streaming down her face. He saw Alex near tears as well and motioned them to come closer. Peggy ran up to him and hugged him, kissing him on the forehead. She pulled a chair to the side of John's bed and held his hand. Alex pulled up another chair on the opposite side and looked at his lap.

"Why are you guys here?" His voice croaked. "Shouldn't you be in school? You shouldn't miss it just for me," He said, squeezing Peggy's hand and showing a small smile.

"John, I would miss my own wedding day if it meant staying by your side. We're both here for you." He shed a tear and looked at Alex. He still didn't say anything, just staring at his lap, concentrating on it like his eyes were glued there. Alex didn't want to look up, he didn't want to be reminded that John liked Peggy and he was dating someone else. He didn't want John to see how many tears he had already shed, how he didn't want him to see all of his scars, he didn't want him to see how broken he was.