Chapter 6: Peggy's A Nurse Now

A/N: The Laurens kids' names are John, the oldest, then Martha, James, and Mary being the youngest. 

_-_-_-_-_-_-_

He could smell the stench of alcohol even before he entered his house. Well, it wasn't exactly his house, he just lived there and got out as much as he could.

Henry Laurens was... a lot of things. A politician, businessman, just a regular guy who could be running New York City if he wanted to. But who would have guessed that he was an alcoholic, an abusive parent, racist and homophobic? No-one except for his children knew, and they knew it all too well.

"Now for the last time, speak when spoken to!" Henry Laurens screamed at his second-oldest daughter, Martha. She could only nod her head as Henry raised his belt over her neck, but John intervened.

"Sir, stop! Don't hurt her!" John said, stepping in front of Martha and his father. He had to do this, no matter what. Those were his siblings, and he had to protect them at all costs. If he couldn't protect them, who else would? He felt like the real father of the family.

"You want to take her punishment?"

"Yes."

"Works for me." His father yelled, slapping the belt down onto his shoulder. John felt his knees weaken and fell to the ground. His father kept slapping him all over his body until blood marks were seeping into his clothing. Henry walked away as Martha dragged him back up the stairs and into his bedroom. She called her other siblings, James and Mary into the room and started to brainstorm ideas on how to help John.

"Why don't we call Peggy? She knows and she can help," James thought. Peggy was the only other person outside of the Laurens' children who knew the truth about her father.

"How are we going to get her in?" Mary thought out loud.

"Remember, John has a long rope under his bed for stuff just like this. Let's call her and she can bring first aid supplies to make him better again." Martha said, scrambling for John's phone. She quickly unlocked it and video called Peggy.

Martha? Why are you on John's phone? Peggy answered, and the kids saw her laying on her bed with a bag of Cheetos to her side, with a bottle of doctor pepper on her bedside table.

"John got hurt again. B-by our father." Martha began to panic. "He needs serious help. Can you bring over some first aid stuff?" She asked, sobbing.

I'll be over in five minutes. I'm coming in through the window, so throw down the rope, okay? She said, wiping the Cheeto dust off of her shirt and fingers with a napkin.

"How do you know about the rope?" Martha asked again.

Haven't you ever wondered why there are so many Taco Bell cups all over his room? I'm on my way. She hung up. A few minutes later, they heard a knock on John's bedroom window. They looked down to find Peggy throwing rocks at them to get their attention. Martha and James threw down the rope, and Peggy began to climb as the two pulled the rope up at the same time. Peggy saw John laying on the ground passed out, and she couldn't believe the amount of blood on his white t-shirt. She quickly moved closer to John in an attempt to wake him up. She shook him lightly and his eyes fluttered open.

"Peggy?" He croaked. He was worse than she thought. He had blood all over his face from his bloody nose. It was going to be hard to get it out of the carpet and clothes.

"Yeah, Jacky it's me. You're going to be okay, don't worry."

"Okay. I love you, Peggy. Thanks for coming." He whispered, he apparently couldn't get words out as loud as he wanted. She smiled.