Chapter 7: Secrets

Knock knock knock

"Eliza, someone's here, can you get the door?" Peggy said from the living room couch. They were both laying on it, but Peggy, being the lazy one, asked her sister to get it.

"Margarita, I always get it! You have to get it one of these days,"

"Don't call me Margarita! I'll get it next time, I promise." Peggy said, stuffing her face with more Cheetos. Eliza groaned, throwing the blanket she had off of her. She stumbled towards the door and unlocked it. She opened the door to find her boyfriend.

"Alex!" She exclaimed, going to hug him. Peggy's eyes shot open and ran as fast as she could towards the front door, slipping on the rug and almost falling onto the floor.

"Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope," She yelled, grabbing Alex's hand and rushing up the stairs to her room. She left Eliza standing dumfounded in the entryway, her looking shocked and a little angry.

"Hey, he's my boyfriend! Don't try anything!" She yelled up to her sister.

"Yeah, and he's my friend, and believe me I wouldn't dream of it," she yelled back, now at the top of the stairs. She took Alex's hand and speed-walked into her room. She slammed the door behind her and locked it. She looked at him, and he cowered in fear. Peggy had never been this angry at anyone in her entire life. If it were possible, she would have steam coming out of her ears and her face flushed red. But this wasn't a movie, this was real life. Real shit.

"Alexander whatever-your-middle-name-is Hamilton, what the fuck do you think you're doing?" She screamed, trying to not be so loud that the whole house could hear. Alex sat on the floor leaning back on a pile of laundry, trying to scoot farther away from her. He had never seen someone this angry, ever. "I tell you to leave him alone, stay away, and what do you do? You track down my sister and me to find him! John calls me, tells me that you called him when he said not to. Give him some fucking privacy for once, Jesus." She screamed, obviously not caring about the noise anymore. She sat next to him in silence for a few minutes. She sighed and laid her head on his shoulder.

"Listen, I'm sorry for yelling. But he values his privacy, especially on stuff like this. It's just none of your business." She went to hug him, but he didn't reciprocate it. Alex was smart though, he could smell this a mile away.

"So, you know what's going on with him," Alex said slowly. Peggy sat there in shock, A finger held out before she could stop him. Peggy made one simple mistake, though. She underestimated him.

"I'm not stupid, Peggy. You know that he is going through something big, and if it leads him to be injured, it is my business. He's my best friend. You and him, you're the only friends I've ever had, and I care about him. Both of you." Alex stood up, ready to leave. He didn't want to be around her, someone who wouldn't tell him vital information on how to protect his... friend. It still hurt to say. She quickly grabbed his arm as he pulled it back in pain.

"Alex... why did that hurt you?" Alex's eyes went wide as he tried to cover up his mistake.

"I, Uhh, sprained my arm! Yeah, I sprained my arm." He put on a smile that she didn't believe. She moved her hand down to his hand and pulled him to the ground where she sat. She looked him in the eyes.

"Alex, can I roll up your sleeve?" He had tears in his eyes but quickly wiped them away with his other arm. It was too late for him, and he needed to tell the truth for once in his life, even if it hurt.

"Y-yeah."

Peggy rolled up the sleeve and saw white marks all over his arm, some purple, some scabbed over. She saw elevated fresh red scars that he had made a few days ago and gasped. She knew something was wrong, but she never would have guessed that he did this to himself.

"Alex these are... really bad."

"I know. And I'm sorry. You don't have to be my friend anymore. You can leave, everyone else already has." He tried to stand up but Peggy grabbed his hand and pulled him down again. Peggy took a deep breath.

"Alex, I'm not going anywhere. I'm never going to leave you, okay? I know that your life hasn't been easy, but it can be now. And I'm sure John would say the same thing." She smiled and put a had on his shoulder. How much work would it take to make him see that he was safe now? That he had friends that love and care about him? She couldn't understand how someone could think so low of themselves.

"Since we're telling secrets now, c-can I tell you one more? And I understand that you might get angry, but I need to tell someone. I- I think I'm bisexual."

"That's great! I'm so happy for you. Do you like anyone? Other than my sister?" Of course, she knew that Alex liked John and the feeling was mutual, but she wanted him to say it. Some may think it's rude, but that's just who she was. Rude and short.

"I like... Nevermind. I can't tell you. Not yet." Alex run his hands in his hair and looked at Peggy again. Could he tell her? That he didn't like Eliza completely and was semi-in love with her boyfriend? If this was a fanfiction, he thought, this would be one hell of a love triangle. "Hey, I'm gonna get out of here. We'll talk later?"

"Yup, just let me know if you need to talk. I'm great with secrets."

After two gruesome days, it was Monday, time to go back to school. Alex only called them 'gruesome' because he couldn't talk to John. He took Peggy's advice; he didn't want to invade John's privacy and make him madder than he already was towards him. Alex knew he could be a little much sometimes, but he needed to make it right again. He got to school early to have plenty of time to see John. Time to apologize.

20 minutes until school started, and no John.

10 minutes until school started, and no John.

5 minutes before school started, and no John.

1 minute before school started, Peggy ran through the door, tissues in her hand, and her backpack on one shoulder. She looked like a mess, old sweatpants, a sweatshirt, and clunky boots. She ran up to Alex with mascara tears on her face.

"We- we gotta go, Alex. C'mon." She tugged at his hand and pulled him up.

"Wait, what? What's going on? What's the matter?" Alex panicked, looking around. They were causing a minor scene. Peggy sniffled, pulling Alex into a hug.

"John's in the hospital. And I think it's time for him to tell you what's been going on."

And as the bell rang, they sprinted out of the building, desperate to see their friend.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Published: 7/13/2020

Word count: 1,212