Chapter V

Warnings: suggestiveness; groping; not really smut but you all know this is an 18+ only series ;)

This is a fun one. I think, anyway. Hope you enjoy :3

---

Although neither wanted any of whatever was going on--Jake still wasn't sure about what that was: were he and Danny a couple? Was it just perpetually going to be called "something?--to be a secret, neither Jake nor Danny felt like having their hickies be the first thing they got called out on, and certainly not before a show. Jake's were manageable merely with his shirt buttoned up a bit more and his hair down; Danny's, on the other hand, were still somewhat raw and screaming red and purple from his neck and chest, bright and hot wounds that made a rush of blood flow to Jake's cheeks and groin whenever he caught a glimpse.

Danny couldn't play the drums with all his hair down, he had reiterated that to Jake multiple times. He could do the half-up thing but he would still "need" to be shirtless, which presented another problem entirely. While Josh and Sam had carried on ahead after getting dressed and styled, moving to the actual venue where the crowd was lined up on the other side beyond the shut doors, Danny and Jake remained in the bus.

"We all have makeup," Jake declared, rifling through a suitcase of Josh's stuff, all skin-tight jumpsuits, gold and silver jewelry that was mostly loose among the fabric. He turned to him with more of a glare than he'd intended--pre-show nerves contributed to him being so prickly and unusually harsh with Danny. The nerves were a sensation he thought he'd forgotten, but he was filled with anxious energy that he could feel swelling and churning in his guts. "Where's yours?"

Danny grumbled something under his breath and started to go through his own bags. All four of them had made a mess, as they always did. It was easier getting ready on the bus sometimes. They didn't have to listen to the crowd or to security, to the guys working backstage, or even to their own management if they really tried; plus, Jake realized as the thought clouded over his mind momentarily, if they merely shut the curtains, they could shut out everyone for as long as they wanted.

After the show, anyway. They had to get through the show, but he just wanted Danny again in whatever way he could get. Jake had anticipated his proclamation of them sleeping together on the bus to be even less than half-baked come the time, but he was willing to be pleasantly surprised. He was waiting and eager, half-sun yet silent prayers turned to aching plumes of soft smoke in his heart for it to really happen, the fantasies of rolling over against that strong, warm body already a haze behind his eyes.

"Sam doesn't have makeup," Danny declared and Jake wasn't sure if he was about to start an argument, but then held up a little tube of concealer in his hand. "Found it. I used it like, once. You really think I need it?"

Jake ushered him into the bathroom, smaller hands braced on broader shoulders. "Not normally. But look at you," he said, gesturing to Danny's reflection in the mirror. "You're destroyed."

Danny caught his eye. "Whose fault is that?"

"Mine, but I--" Jake began and found himself getting even closer, wrapping one arm around his waist. "I couldn't help myself."

Danny snorted and chuckled. "Right."

Jake started to turn him around. "Alright, c'mere. I'll help." He took the concealer from Danny's hands and opened it, dabbing a tiny glob onto the tips of his ring finger. He leaned in and up to inspect the worst offending hickey on his neck, peering at it, making sure it wasn't even the slightest bit of an open wound. "Your sister never taught you how to do this?"

"I don't wear makeup now," Danny protested, lifting his chin and stretching his neck. "Why would I have worn it before?"

"I don't know, Danny."