2 | The Winter Soldier

Y/N

_

Longing

Rusted

Seventeen

Daybreak

Furnace

Nine

Benign

Homecoming

One

Freight car

★・・・★・・・★

"[y/n]?"

After falling onto my back, the mask covering my face skidded onto the ground. Picking up my knife, I narrowed my eyes at the two men in front of me.

"Who the hell is [y/n]?" I growled, before lunging towards them.

Before I could make a hit, two feet were planted on my back and I was shoved to the ground. A man with birdlike wings was flying through the air, before landing next to the two men I had been previously fighting with.

"You okay, Steve?" the birdman said to the blonde on his left.

So one of the two men was Steve. The name sounded oddly familiar, but it was a common name, so why did it matter? Picking myself up I stared blankly for a second, analyzing the situation.

"It's her," the brunette next to Steve mumbled.

"Who?"

"[y/n]."

Who the hell was [y/n]? They kept saying that name as if it was worth something. Just then, a nuke came hurtling from behind a van, and I ducked back down. A woman with red hair was pointing the gun at me, a scowl on her face. As the explosion went up in smoke, I picked my mask off and began to run. I'd rather be dead than to be caught by the enemy.

Although I didn't seem like an enemy to them.

★・・・★・・・★

All I wanted were some plums.

After the whole fiasco with Steve and Bucky, I decided to leave the city to find solace somewhere. I ended up going to Romania, to escape the remaining people of Hydra.

I was still getting used to being 86, and stuck in my 16 year old body. I didn't feel 86, I didn't look like it, but I knew logically I was. When my body was found, I was brainwashed and put to sleep in a cryo-chamber. That's what made me ageless.

But I knew I was still 16. I never lived those 70 years.

Pulling my baseball cap over my eyes, my eyes scanned around the busy plaza. I was being watched. Slipping through the crowd, I ran back to my apartment to gather my things. I couldn't stay here any longer.

But someone was already there.

"[y/n]?"

That name... I realized that name was mine now. Two familiar men were rummaging around my house, but spun around when they heard me come in.

"You're Steve," I mumbled, admiring the shield in his hand. I turned to the other man, who was staring at me with a sad look. He recognized me, but I guess I wasn't the same to him, "and you're Bucky."

When he heard me say his name, his eyes lit up, "you remember me?"

"I read about you," I nodded.

His chest faltered in disappointment. I did remember them, but I couldn't let them know. I was too ashamed of the person I had become, and the people I had killed.

"We need to get you out of here," Steve said, "I know you're scared, but-"

"I'm not scared."

"Then why do you look like it?"

I narrowed my eyes, brushing past them and flipping over my mattress. Inside was a thin black bag, which I stored my weapons in. I knew I'd need to use them again, but I didn't know I'd have to use them so soon.

"I know they're coming for me," I grunted, zipping the bag open and shuffling around for my ammo, "so it's better if you leave."

Steve sighed, "we're here to help you."

"I don't need your help."

Clicking the revolver, I slipped it into the back of my jeans and made my way towards the door. I could hear the sounds of guards creeping up the staircase, which made me pause. I couldn't leave that way. Turning around I made my way towards the window instead, but someone grabbed my arm.

"Hey," Bucky said, his voice lowered to a whisper, "do you really not remember me?"

I wanted to tell him I did. I wanted to tell him that he and Steve were my best friends, but I knew I couldn't. That would put both of their lives at more risk than they already were. I knew it was wrong, but it just slipped out.

"Did you win the war for me?" I mumbled, my eyes starting to sting.

Those were the last words I said to them, before I fell from the train. I never knew the answer, although I wished they had time to tell me. I knew they both were flying the plane that crashed into the arctic, but that's all I knew of the future. Their future. I couldn't even remember my past.

"You do remember," Buck exhaled, pulling me into a hug, "I missed you."

"Oh, bug off, Barnes," I frowned, nudging him off, "unless you want to die."

"Die?"

At that minute, a grenade came shooting through the window, grazing right past my ear. I saw Steve lurch forward, covering the explosion with his shield.

"Told you," I said, grabbing the boy's hand, "we need to go, now."

That was just the beginning of a story I never expected to live. I didn't know what would happen that day at the airport.

And I didn't know I'd meet a certain kind of spider-boy.