23 | Records

PETER

_

"I haven't watched them yet," I stated, placing the video camera onto the table, "but I think it's a video diary."

Tony, Steve, and Bucky all gathered around, watching with eager eyes as Stark connected it to his portable projector. I still felt like we were slightly invading her privacy by doing this, but if it would help us find her, it's automatically overruled. I think.

"It is," Buck nodded, "Steve and I told her to do this."

"A video diary?"

"Yeah."

"Well let's hope there's something actually worth watching," Tony sighed, "there's over twenty files in here."

"Just play the video," the rest of us groaned in unison.

Even though we were still on the edge with each other, we agreed upon that one thing. As Tony waved his hand in compliance, the lights dimmed and the first video started to play.

""Hi," the recording started, "I'm [y/n]."

She was sitting in her room, her hair hanging slightly over her eyes. She seemed sad, and a little distressed.

This is the first video of my adjustment period, and I already screwed up," she continued, "I told someone I'd break their arm if they insulted my friends, and now the whole school is mad at me...."

Video after video we watched, none of us saying a word. I guess we were afraid to speak over her voice. Halfway in, another video started with her standing in a familiar surrounding.

"look what I found at the market," she beamed, holding up a tiny, round fruit, "a plum! Hey, Mr. Delmar, wanna say hi to the camera?"

The camera panned to a familiar looking man behind a counter.

"Hey, camera," Mr. Delmar laughed, before smirking, "isn't that Peter's old camera?"

"Maybe... how did you know?"

"I helped his Aunt pick it out for his birthday."

"It was a good choice," [y/n] nodded, flipping the screen back to her, "by the way, Mr. Delmar makes the best sandwiches in Queens."

I waited for the next part to play, but Tony tapped the projector off. He didn't look amused.

"Is this going anywhere?" He asked, a sigh escaping his lips, "it's just random videos of her day."

Sure, they didn't really seem to be going anywhere at the moment, but that was besides the point. Everyone else wanted to watch them. Even if it was just a blurry assortment of out-of-context clips.

"I just...." I started, hanging my head, "I just need to watch these."

"We can't just waste our time on this."

"It's the only plan we have, okay?" I frowned, "that, and I just really freaking miss her, and I want to see her face. So, SORRY, if the rest of us actually find these videos meaningful, Mr. Stark."

I didn't mean to snap at him like that, but I didn't like it when he said the word: waste. Nothing about this was a waste. Finding her was my priority, not a waste of time, and a waste of energy.

I ran all the way back to my apartment just to get this camera, and I wasn't going to let this plan fall through.

I had to find her.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, "I'm just getting a little worked up, and it's late."

"Don't apologize to Tony," Steve grinned, "he's a big boy, he can take a hit."

"Why don't you chill out, you giant man-popsicle," Stark hissed.

"Watch who you're calling a man-popsicle," Bucky said, standing up, "you're just jealous he's older than you, and still looks better than you."

Tony gasped, "since when did this argument involve my looks?"

"When you called him a frozen dessert treat!"

"You guys aren't legally married, so stop acting like his defensive husband, Bucky."

"I can be defensive without a marriage certificate!"

I rolled my eyes, tapping on the projector to keep the video going. Drowning out the sound of their bickering, I watched as the screen flipped to another video of her at the park.

"Those are some ducks," she said, "I think they're very cute."

They were cute, and so was she.

Holy crap, why the heck did I just think that?

I'm supposed to be focused on finding her, and all my brain can do is think of how she looks in a tiny video. I was getting so tired, my brain was starting to short-circuit on itself.

Skipping the video, I watched as the next on appeared. In this one she was holding up a tiny pin, her back pressed up against the buck-bed.

"Someone's watching me," she said, her voice shaky, "I don't know who, but they left me this."

She leaned forward, showing the pin in better focus. It was tiny, black, and had a red symbol etched into the front. I didn't recognize it, but by the hushed sound of the room, the other three guys did.

"But I know I shouldn't be worried," she continued, "Peter's here. He'll be around just in case they..... They get me."

"What is that?" I said, standing up from the couch, "who's watching her?"

Steve, Bucky and Tony looked at each other in panic. Pausing the video, the eerily silent room surrounded us.

"I thought we took care of that," Bucky whispered under his breath, "I thought it dissolved years ago..."

"It was supposed to have," Steve said.

"Then what the hell is that pin?"

"Okay, I agree," I said, pointing at the screen, "what does that mean?"

"No time to explain," Mr. Stark exhaled quickly, "Steve, Bucky, in my office now."

"Can I go?"

"No, it's getting too late for you anyways."

"I want to help!"

"You can help when you wake up" Tony assured, "we'll take care of it from here."

Without so much as another word, all three of them rushed out of the room and disappeared. I was alone, sitting in front of the paused projector screen, my face streaked with worry. Whatever was on that pin was dangerous, and it was clear it had something to do with her capture.

In that case, I was going to beat up whoever was responsible.

But I couldn't, because I was supposed to go to sleep and wait till morning. It wouldn't hurt to watch the rest of the videos, then.

Tapping the projector, I watched the next video start to play.

"Today..." she began to say, "I let someone hug me for the first time in a while..."