So glad we almost made it

The sky is a black canvas punctuated with countless stars blinking in and out of existence. The ocean is calm and still, and a gentle caress of a breeze sweeps through everything and everyone. 

Liana helps heave the last of the bodies onto the funeral boat, and she also helps push the boat into the ocean. 

Ixi stands next to her, with her blue form like a light in the dark. She speaks a language Liana has never heard of, and, as if on command, the waters begin to move and work to carry the funeral boat into the ocean. 

Chance is also present, with a longbow at his side and a flaming arrow in his left hand. He pulls the bowstring back and steadies the arrow. His face is composed, perfectly structured as to reveal no thoughts or emotions.

Chance releases the arrow and it soars brilliantly. The arrow strikes the boat and it begins catching ablaze, a fiery memoir drifting into the ocean.

Liana closes her eyes and begins to pray. She is devoted to no god, and is unsure if she even believes in them, but she prays for safe passage for the fallen. 

"Prayers are nice, but I can't help but wonder if it's all in vain," it was Ixi. 

Liana actually knows what she was talking about. What awaited everyone after the end was not a glorious hall filled with endless pleasures.

But Liana does not want to think of that, so she doesn't.

"I hope it's not in vain," Liana says. 

"Me too," and Ixi walks away.

Liana turns to Eldaren, who is still praying. She waits for him to finish before she says, "What next, Eldaren? You've done what you were asked to do."

"I was hoping to adventure a bit more," Eldaren says, "I've been in college so long, I'm eager to just explore the world and see what it has in store for me. What about you?"

"I'm contracted to protect you, Eldaren, so wherever you go, I'll go."

"It'll be great having you along, Liana," and Eldaren starts to walk away.

Liana catches up with Eldaren and says "Where are you going?"

"Vivicci said he's willing to train me, so I figured I'd go take him up on his offer."

"That's great, Eldaren, but maybe we can also talk a little bit more about strategy? You know, keeping you safe and alive."

"Training with Vivicci will help with that, and besides, I've got your support and the priest, and it's not like I can't hold my ground."

Liana pauses in her steps and says, "Okay but in less than a week you almost died twice. I can't protect you if you don't let me help you."

"Go take some time for yourself, Liana. You worry too much."

This fu..., Liana sighs. She inhales and then exhales. She watches Eldaren walk off and back towards the main ship. Liana looks around and already sees that everyone is dispersing, off to do their own thing, to grieve elsewhere. 

Liana stands still and thinks about Vivicci, the elf who is apparently a renowned warrior, even though she herself has never heard of him. 

Liana turns the other way, figuring that she should acquaint herself more with Ixi, but Ixi and Khain were already walking off, together. 

Liana does not want to intervene in whatever was going on between the two of them. So, instead, Liana goes to find Ravina.

Liana finds Ravina on the aft of the ship, overlooking the dying funeral pyre drifting off into the distant horizon. 

"How are you feeling, Ravina?"

"A life can be such a fragile thing. Even with all the spirit a person has, it can be extinguished in an instant. It breaks my heart."

Liana doesn't know how to respond to that, at least not immediately. She thinks of things she could say, but those thoughts don't sit right with her, so she says, "I don't know if I have any words to make anything better for you, but I'm here for you."

Ravina turns towards Liana and smiles, and at this moment Liana thinks that Ravina's smile would be enough to melt ice. 

"Thank you, Liana. That... means an awful lot to me. Companionship. Camaraderie. Family. These are important to me. The bonds I have with others are what help me overcome adversity."

Bonds with others, Liana thinks to herself. Do I even have that still? Did I ever really have that?

Ravina pats Liana on the shoulder, walks past her, and says, "I've expended enough energy tonight. I'm going to bed early, but before I go," and then she turns to face Liana and says, "Would you be interested in helping me dish out a little revenge?"

"Of course," Liana says. "What do you have in mind?"

"I'll brief you later. I just wanted to see that conviction in your eyes, Liana," she turns away and says, "Goodnight, Lieutenant. I'll see you around."

Liana watches Ravina walk away and leave for her captain's quarters. She also spots Lucille, the blonde-haired noble wearing her fine leathers with birds of prey depictions, staring off into the town. 

Liana also looks towards the town, a silhouette of numerous homes faintly illuminated by lanterns and starlight. She then walks down from the aft deck and approaches Lucille.

But she stops when she sees Lucille walk towards Khain, who has returned to the ship.

"Interesting," Liana whispers to herself. She then decides to walk the other way out of respect for their privacy. Liana does overhear some details that she's interested in, but she figures that it would be better if she does not probe into such matters too much.

Liana's muscles ache, and she's caked in sweat. Since everyone seems to be up to their own devices, she decides to resign for the night.

Tomorrow would be another day.